Posted on January 10, 2013
Director of Programming
Generation Citizen - Director of Programming
Despite the promises of a government in which all citizens can play a role in determining the country’s future, a large part of our nation, especially minority and lower-income citizens, does not actively participate in our democracy. Generation Citizen exists to change this dynamic.
Generation Citizen envisions a democracy in which every citizen participates. Generation Citizen strengthens our nation’s democracy by empowering young people to become engaged and effective citizens.
Generation Citizen partners college students with classroom teachers to teach an action civics course in which teens solve problems they are facing in their own communities.
Our innovative, action-based program will revolutionize civics education in this country. Generation Citizen is building a new generation of youth activists and leaders, a generation inspired and equipped to make change. To find out more about Generation Citizen, visit www.generationcitizen.org.
Generation Citizen is currently seeking a dynamic leader to serve as Director of Programming. S/He will be responsible for working directly with Program Managers to ensure programmatic success at all partner schools. The ideal candidate will be comfortable in growth mode, as the program is evolving and scaling nationally. S/He will be an implementer and tester of the program, making changes and improvements along the way utilizing data to drive those decisions. This person will care deeply about the mission and will be motivated by the opportunity to empower young people to become engaged and effective citizens.
Oversee and Develop Program Content
- Oversee continual and annual improvements to curriculum, student handbooks, and online Weebly resources:
- Oversee continual and bi-annual improvements to training for Democracy Coaches and Teachers
- Make presentations and attend conferences to learn more about curriculum
- Make recommendations to management team about future curriculum adaptations
- Create annual evaluation strategy by developing key learning questions, consolidating, prioritizing and determining management procedure for all evaluation projects
- Oversee and regularly check in with all evaluation partners
- Convene program team in monthly meetings to review trends in classroom observations and discuss implications of evaluation results
- Work with development manager to meaningfully communicate evaluation strategy and results to key stakeholders and audiences
- Observe classrooms with an eye to training and curriculum improvements
- Manage all revisions and stipulations of Institutional Review Board process to ensure alignment with human subject research requirements
Program Execution Management
- Interpret strategic plan to help guide program staff in creating site-specific strategies, including:
- Program growth
- Community and other stakeholder engagement
- Landscape mapping
- Program budgeting
- Utilize strategic parameters to drive day-to-day program decision-making
- Oversee and strategically drive decisions around improvements to our college recruitment and retention model
- Collaborate with development manager in integrating donor/development priorities with program to make these mutually beneficial and smooth
- Manage 4 Program Managers and aid in site program development and success
- Participate in strategic decision making with management team
- Lead Board program committee
- Participate in strategic discussions with management team on appropriate organizational structure and areas of need for additional hires
- A successful track record of significant professional achievement managing programs in an innovative and successful education, non-profit or social enterprise environment
- Experience developing and implementing curriculum and evaluating program success
- Knowledge about the public education sector/landscape preferred
- Relevant management experience in a growing nonprofit including supervision of at least two direct reports and experience managing other leaders
- Stellar project management skills with an ability to organize and develop processes to ensure deadlines are met and goals achieved
- Ability to coach at all levels and a high comfort level in having one-on-one coaching conversations with staff and students alike
- A strategic and visionary leader with the ability to be resourceful, set clear priorities, and guide investment in people and systems
- Exceptional relationship-building skills, with the ability to work with diverse groups, including school leaders and major funders
- A results-oriented problem-solver who is entrepreneurial and driven but also flexible, highly collaborative and open to the input and thoughts of others, and who can point to his/her contributions in a fast-paced, measurement-driven, and dynamic environment
- Passion for, and demonstrated commitment to, improving the life opportunities of disadvantaged youth
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Travel required
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, to Scott Warren at http://jobs.cgcareers.org/application.aspx?id=1984 . Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Compensation is competitive based on background and experience and includes excellent benefits. Generation Citizen is an equal opportunity employer.
About CommonGood Careers:
Generation Citizen has partnered with CommonGood Careers to conduct the search for a Director of Programming. CommonGood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of the nation’s most innovative and high-performing nonprofit organizations. Since its founding in 2006, Commongood Careers has completed over 500 searches at 150 organizations in 26 states. Founded and staffed by nonprofit professionals, CommonGood Careers offers personalized, engaged services to jobseekers and organizations throughout the hiring process, as well as access to a wealth of knowledge about nonprofit careers. Learn more about nonprofit jobs at CommonGood Careers.