Posted on December 4, 2012
Water Conservation AmeriCorps Corpsmember
Mile High Youth Corps
Mile High Youth Corps - Water Conservation
** Water Conservation Program applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a GED or high school diploma to be eligible for employment.**
Summary: Water Conservation Corpsmembers participate in an intensive, 22-week program that focuses on building technical skills and career readiness in a green job industry. Corpsmembers will work in the Denver community installing high-efficiency toilets (HETs) and in the MHYC classroom focusing on teamwork, community service, life skills, career and college readiness training, and leadership development.
- Participate in and successfully complete new Corpsmember orientation and technical training.
- Work on a small diverse team with a Crew Leader providing installation of new high-efficiency toilets throughout the Denver metro area for low-income residents. (Each installation helps save 140 gallons of water per week.)
- Support MHYC client intake department; calling potential clients and completing data entry.
- Interact with low-income clients to offer information on energy and water conservation techniques during technical installs or through neighborhood canvassing.
- Fully comply with agency policies and procedures regarding high quality work, installations, tool management, paperwork completion and data accuracy.
- Fully participate in environmental education, leadership development, civic engagement, healthy lifestyles, career development, independent living and service learning activities.
- Receive hands-on technical trainings including use of hand and power tools. Learn to problem solve diverse technical challenges in the work space.
- Adhere to the rules and regulations specified in the MHYC Employee and Corpsmember Handbooks.
- Fully participate in safety trainings and adhere to agency safety rules and regulations.
- Fully participate in career readiness training activities
- Participate in training and support of other Corpsmembers; serve in various leadership positions.
- Demonstrate commitment to teamwork, communication and problem-solving.
- May be required to participate in additional training opportunities or complete a rotation on the MHYC Energy Conservation Crew installing energy saving devices.
- May be required to participate in Global Youth Service Day on Saturday April 27th, 2012.
- Report to a MHYC Crew Leader.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must be 18-24 years old
- Ability to read, write and speak fluently in English and Spanish highly preferred.
- High school or GED graduate.
- Desire to learn plumbing and water conservation skills. Construction or mechanical experience preferred.
- Able to lift 50 lbs.
- Able to conduct repetitive hand and arm motions.
- Able to maneuver in tight spaces, including bending and kneeling.
- Must make a strong commitment to term of service by being available for a minimum of 675 hours of service, 36 hours a week
- Preference given to local applicants living in the 15 county region of Colorado served by MHYC.
- Able to be on time and maintain a minimum of 90% attendance rate through term of service.
- Able to work and learn with a positive attitude and show respect for others.
- Desire for personal challenge and self-development.
- Ability to engage with people from different backgrounds and demographics.
- Experience or a desire to work with a diverse group of young adults ages 18-24.
- Must bring identification documents necessary to complete the I-9 and other employment forms on your first day of employment. Examples of such documents are a passport or a driver's license and social security card/birth certificate or other equivalent documents.
- Pre-employment background check required. May be subject to FBI Background Check, which includes fingerprinting.
- Pre-employment drug screen required. Drug testing may be required during employment.
- Must be able to legally work in the United States, which will be verified via the federal E-Verify program
Hours and Compensation:
- This is a temporary, non-exempt position, January 28th, 2013-June 28th, 2013
- Schedule: Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Fridays 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Corpsmembers may be required to work occasional Friday afternoons from 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Schedule may vary depending on projects.
- Corpsmembers earn a stipend of $256.00 - $264.00 per week. May be eligible for mid-program raise of up to $16/week based on performance.
- Benefits are not provided.
AmeriCorps Education Award:
A Corpsmember is eligible for a $2,114.00 AmeriCorps Education Award upon successful completion of 675 hours of service.
Online: www.milehighyouthcorps.org (click "apply now")
In person/mail: Attn. Duncan Forbes, 6740 E. Colfax Avenue, Denver, CO 80220
* If you have questions about the position, please email email@example.com or call 720-407-7281 x325