Posted on November 6, 2012
Director of Finance
Community Health Care Association of NYS
Community Health Care Association of NYS - Director of Finance
The mission of the Community Health Care Association of New York State (CHCANYS) is to ensure that all New Yorkers, including those who are medically underserved, have continuous access to high quality community-based health care services including a primary care home. To do this, CHCANYS serves as the voice of community health centers as leading providers of primary health care in New York State. CHCANYS is a dynamic, team-oriented, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that advocates on behalf of and provides technical assistance to federally qualified health centers (FQHCs) throughout New York State.
CHCANYS was founded over 40 years ago and the last 7 years have been a time of significant expansion and growth where we are working with community, migrant, and homeless health centers to provide high-quality, affordable and accessible primary and preventative health care for more than 1.4 million New Yorkers. This is an exciting time as CHCANYS is further building its internal infrastructure to support expansion anticipated to double in size and open its third office in New York State over the next 5 years.
As a critical aspect to anticipated growth, CHCANYS is seeking a Director of Finance, a newly created role, to build the finance department to best support the finance functions of a diverse and dynamic, multi-site organization in conjunction with the programmatic and operations departments. To support the transition from a consultant-led team to a staff-led team, this person will work closely with the President and CEO, Director of Operations, Department Heads and constituent organizations to best understand programs, and develop financial systems and processes that support the organizational vision. The Director of Finance is responsible for oversight and support for all financial management activities and will provide counsel and advice to senior executives and the Board on all financial matters. This position will analyze and adapt policies and procedures to most effectively make use of organizational resources to further the CHCANYS’ mission. Critical to succes
s, this person will thrive in a cross-departmental organization, working alongside a diverse staff that values high quality work and continuous learning.
The Director of Finance supervises the Accounting Manager and Accountant and will report directly to the CEO.
- Serve as the finance resource for the organization, providing leadership and direction to the Finance Department with close oversight of the organization’s financial position and potential gaps in revenues or expenses
- Develop, oversee, and monitor all financial and accounting systems, policies and procedures, and internal controls, and then adapting as necessary to meet changing regulations and best practices in the sector
- Design and oversee the budget and reporting structure for the organization including:
- Planning and preparation of an annual operating budget and narrative to include grant/contract specific budgets and in partnership with program staff;
- Regularly provide the budget to actual reports and forecasts for each cost center in conjunction with program leaders and support the collaborative monitoring of these budgets
- Design and adapt reports which allocate all costs to revenue sources
- Oversee the preparation of the monthly general ledger and cash flow reports for senior management; monthly profit and loss reports for each department, monthly cash and expense management reports for the Senior Team, and monthly financial reports to present to the Board and Finance Committee
- In accordance with all state and federal grants and contract requirements, ensure timely and up to date vouchering, oversee draws from federal Payment Management System, and approve reports for accurate and timely submission
- Monitor lobbying expenses and ensure compliance with all rules and regulations specific to New York City, state and federal
- Develop the strategic financial strategy for CHCANYS that will outline the next 1-5 years with contingencies based on possible policy and funding changes could impact the operations of CHCANYS; continuously analyze individual programs for the effectiveness and integration into the organizational strategy
- Coordinate and oversee all aspects of CHCANYS’ external audits and tax reporting requirements, including annual A-133 audit and 990 filings
- Serve as staff liaison for the Finance and Audit Committees of the Board of Directors and participate on the Corporate Compliance Team
- 7-10 years of nonprofit accounting and financial management experience with complex funding and reporting requirements.
- Experience managing and oversight of government (federal and state) grants accounting and contracts management
- Thorough understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures, business and administrative practices, and nonprofit environments
- Proven ability to support and mentor highly-skilled finance and accounting staff through a hands-on management style with ability to address and solve problems or issues as they arise.
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills with customer service orientation
- Excellent computer skills, particularly with financial management software and Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook); familiarity with FUND E-Z a plus
- Demonstrated ability to work with customer/client groups and/or experience in membership organizations
- Ability to multi-task and manage a heavy workload and work as an effective team member with a passionate group of diverse people
- Must be self-motivated, display sound judgment, relate well to the public and staff, and prioritize customer satisfaction
- Willingness to travel throughout the state in support of the programs and to build relationships with health center staff
- A Bachelors degree in accounting or business administration is required; advanced degree in related field or MBA preferred
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, to Elizabeth Swain, CEO at http://jobs.cgcareers.org/application.aspx?id=1966. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
CHCANYS offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
CHCANYS is an equal opportunity employer.
About Commongood Careers:
CHCANYS has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Director of Finance. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of the nation’s most innovative and high-performing nonprofit organizations. Since its founding in 2006, Commongood Careers has completed over 500 searches at 150 organizations in 26 states. Founded and staffed by nonprofit professionals, Commongood Careers offers personalized, engaged services to jobseekers and organizations throughout the hiring process, as well as access to a wealth of knowledge about nonprofit careers. Learn more about nonprofit jobs at Commongood Careers.