Posted on December 5, 2012
Director of Outbound Sponsored Programs
AFS-USA - Director of Outbound Sponsored Programs
AFS-USA works towards a more just and peaceful world by providing international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities through a global volunteer partnership.
AFS-USA is proud of its network of more than 5000 volunteers located in communities throughout the United States. Our staff and volunteers work in partnership to deliver quality intercultural exchange programs to adolescents and adults, both those interested in coming to the U.S. as well as those U.S. citizens interested in experiencing life abroad.
The Director of Outbound Sponsored Programs will develop and implement programming under the auspices of the U.S. Department of State and other funders and funding sources. The Director of Outbound Sponsored Programs collaborates closely with the Director of Inbound Sponsored Programs and the Project Manager and Vice President of Sponsored Programs to foster a team environment across the Sponsored Programs Division. The Director of Outbound Sponsored Programs must work both interdepartmentally and with other organizations, both within the AFS network and outside the AFS network, as well as the US State Department and other funders, to ensure that the programs are successfully implemented. Incumbent directly supervises a staff of two, including two Program Specialists and others as projects require. The Director of Outbound Sponsored Programs reports directly to the Vice President of Sponsored Programs.
Responsibilities: (Key functions)
- Create and maintain relationships within and outside of AFS network.
- Establish and maintain communication protocols that bridge the AFS network relationships and connect cooperating organizations.
- Work with AFS’s risk management team to assess areas in which risk management issues need to be addressed and work out a plan to address these areas.
- Responsible for maintaining good working relations cross-departmentally, with funders and with cooperating organizations.
- Proposal Development and Stewardship
- Working collaboratively with relevant members of the Sponsored Programs Team, Development and Finance Departments, ensure timely and successful responses to calls for proposals from relevant agencies and other sources as they come up.
- Ensure that reporting deadlines are met and all relevant parties submit financial and other reporting as necessary.
- Maintain positive relationship with collaboration organizations, sponsors, ECA, US Embassies and Consulates and other State Department representatives.
- Program Implementation
- Work with all partners in and out of AFS network, as well as collaboratively with other departments and divisions within AFS-USA to ensure programs are implemented as outlined and that any modifications of timeline or implementation are made as necessary, depending upon circumstances.
- Work with AFS Partner organizations to modify or develop appropriate plans for implementation of program deliverables within funder guidelines.
- Work with AFS International and others to develop capacity in new or nascent AFS entities abroad to implement programming.
- Ensure accurate records are maintained and work with IT to ensure the necessary database infrastructure is in place to make this possible.
- Ensure that travel and logistical arrangements, as well as all programmatic elements and events for outbound participants are carried out smoothly.
- Develop, in cooperation with the relevant departments, communication and outreach plans and materials.
- Develop and implement training for US and non-US staff and volunteers in order to meet program goals.
- Work with Director of Inbound SP and other departments to develop appropriate communications and information management infrastructure to support programmatic activity and outreach.
- Work with Inbound SP Team and AFS-USA Support Teams to address culture and program-specific support issues with an eye toward enhancing materials and orientation to minimize staff time spent on on-program support issues.
- Effectively implement new outbound program initiatives as appropriate.
- Budget and Finance Responsibilities
- Ensure that each program has an appropriate budget projection within the scope of the organizational budgeting framework, as well as the within the parameters of the funder and relevant regulations.
- Ensure that appropriate agreements covering financial and operational elements are in place and meet both the grant and accounting needs.
- Ensure appropriate invoicing and payments in relation to sponsored programs are made.
- Track spending and ensure oversight that maintains financial discipline.
- With Vice President of Sponsored Programs, develop program budgets and ensure that appropriate inputs to AFS-USA’s organizational budgets are made within designated timelines.
- Leadership and Supervision
- Lead a team of Program Specialists in administering and implementing the outbound Sponsored Programs
- Effectively recruit and hire talented employees.
- Ensure new employees receive the orientation and training they need to perform their jobs.
- With input from others, establish departmental plans with clear goals, strategies, and priorities. Demonstrate innovation and creativity in improving processes and systems.
- Make timely and well reasoned decisions with appropriate input from others.
- Appropriately and effectively delegate tasks and responsibilities among staff members in the department. Help remove roadblocks to success. Trust staff to produce desired results.
- Build and lead teams effectively. Run effective meetings. Encourage and value a diversity of ideas. Address team disagreement and conflict in a positive manner.
- Is accessible to employees. Provide effective direction and coaching. Assist employees to strategize and problem solve. Regularly review progress with employees towards meeting objectives and provides feedback. Demonstrate an understanding of the larger organizational picture and communicate a clear vision for the future of the department and organization. Drive and manage change effectively. Is able to motivate employees to achieve results. Represent his/her department to other constituencies.
- Identify what staff needs in order to grow; expose staff to other opportunities; foster an environment where growth is encouraged.
- Show employees appreciation and recognition.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the larger organizational picture and communicate a clear vision for the future of the department and organization. Drive and manage change effectively
Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Service-oriented work style
- Excellent managerial and organizational skills
- Experience developing and overseeing budgets
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, with multiple deadlines
- Ability to prioritize projects and work closely with multiple staff across departmental lines
- Experience living/working/studying in intercultural setting
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Computer literate and proficient in Word, Excel
- BA/BS degree in a related field
- 5-10 years experience administering State-Department-funded programs
- 5-10 years supervisory experience
- 5+ years experience in developing and implementing intercultural and international exchange programming
Salary and Benefits:
AFS-USA is committed to attracting and retaining top quality staff. One way we support this goal is to offer a benefits package that is competitive.
AFS-USA’s wide array of benefits (including but not limited to health and dental coverage, retirement plan, short-term and long-term disability, fully funded life insurance, generous time-off, and commutation reimbursement) not only enhance your financial security and well-being, but also add significantly to your total compensation.
Salary will be negotiated at the time of hire.
The Director of Outbound Sponsored Programs works in the New York office. Office hours are 9:00-5:00. Monday through Friday.
It is the policy of AFS-USA to provide equal employment opportunity in all employment practices without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or any other unlawful basis. Our goal is to foster a diverse workforce which reflects a broad spectrum of society and maintain an organization free from unlawful discrimination towards any employee or applicant for employment. Full commitment to this policy is required to produce a work environment in which we can take pride.
If you are interested and you would like to apply, please go to the following link: https://home.eease.com/recruit/?id=2700641
Please include your cover letter and resume in the same file because you can only upload one file. Otherwise, you may cut and paste your cover letter and resume into the text box.
Applications without cover letters will not be reviewed.