Posted on November 6, 2012
Managing Director, Alumni Affairs
Teach for America
Teach For America - Managing Director, Alumni Affairs
If Teach For America is successful in pursuing its mission, our alumni will believe that educational inequity is solvable and that they play a central role in making sure that all children across Houston have the opportunity to attain an excellent education. We envision a world where our alums are playing a critical role in classrooms, schools, and school systems; we also believe that we need our alumni to partner collaboratively with key community stakeholders while playing a role in broader advocacy efforts on behalf of children.
Teach For America seeks a Managing Director of Alumni Leadership and Community Engagement in the Houston Region. The Managing Director of Alumni Leadership and Community Engagement is responsible for fueling efforts to dramatically increase educational equity in Houston through strong partnerships with leaders in the community; by accelerating the leadership of our alumni into key positions of influence and by ensuring that our alumni are meaningfully engaged in the broader fight to ensure all children have the opportunity to attain an excellent education.
- Team leadership and management
- Alumni cultivation, outreach, and support
- Collaborating with regional and national teams
- External relationship building
- Project Management
- Data and analysis
Candidate Profile and Experience Prerequisites
- Visionary Leadership: Visionary leadership and innovative thinking to catalyze our alumni impact, both individual and collective, in the Houston Region.
- Team Management: Ability to build and manage a team toward excellence and execution; ability to both motivate people and also offer direct, critical feedback when necessary.
- Building Relationships and Influencing Others: Superb interpersonal and talent identification skills, as well as a proven ability to develop and leverage relationships toward achievement of concrete goals.
- Organization: Excellent organizational and management skills.
- Belief in the critical role of Diversity/Inclusiveness: an understanding for why diversity and inclusiveness is so critically important to building an alumni movement and an inner drive to ensure we do all that we can to maximize it in our day-to-day work.
- Mission/Metrics Balance: ability to balance/manage toward the many numerical goals we have while keeping front-and-center the spirit by which they are designed.
- Innovation: ability to think outside of the box to capitalize on new opportunities.
- Ability to Operate in a Matrix Structure: ability to navigate the many layers of our matrix organization to build credibility, invest others, tap into other sources of input.
- Positive Attitude: Approaches challenges with a positive attitude and a sense of possibility.
Education and Professional Experience
- Bachelor's degree required.
- 6-8 years of professional experience preferred, including management of teams.
- Teach For America alumni preferred.
- Experience managing projects to reach and exceed ambitious goals required.
- Knowledge of the Houston Region education landscape preferred.
Application Requirements and Process
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit your resume and one-page cover letter with your application.
To link directly to this job listing, please use the following address
Benefits and Salary
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity
Teach For America seeks individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
About Teach For America
Teach For America is the national corps of top college graduates and professionals who commit to teach for two years in urban and rural public schools and become lifelong leaders in the effort to expand educational opportunity. Our mission is to build the movement to eliminate educational inequity by enlisting the nation's most promising future leaders in the effort.
To apply for this position, please go to: