Posted on March 14, 2013
Associate Director, BCLI
Urban Habitat - Associate Director, BCLI
Founded in 1989, Urban Habitat (UH) builds power in low-income communities and communities of color by combining policy, advocacy, research, leadership development, and coalition building to advance environmental, economic and social justice in the Bay Area. Urban Habitat’s Boards and Commissions Leadership Institute (BCLI) develops and places low-income people and people of color committed to social and environmental justice onto priority Bay Area boards and commissions that have the power to advance transportation justice, equitable development, affordable housing, good jobs, and climate justice.
Associate Director of BCLI
The Associate Director of BCLI will be responsible for implementing the Bay Area Boards and Commissions Leadership Institute, under the direction of the Director of Strategic Initiatives. He/she develops and manages relationships with elected officials, city staff, policy organizations, community groups, and neighborhood leaders to identify BCLI candidates and support the training of BCLI members. The Associate Director leverages relationships and knowledge of local politics to support placement of BCLI members onto appropriate commissions. The Associate Director will support the Director of Strategic Initiatives to identify BCLI training needs and design curriculum and panels. He/she will recruit and prepare speakers and content consultants from regional network of experts and partners.
Education/Training/Experience and knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree and four (4) years experience in public policy, public administration, public health, political science, urban planning, community development, or social/environmental justice field. Masters degree a plus.
- Ability to build, expand and leverage effective relationships across community, policy, labor, and government stakeholders and influencers; existing relationships in Bay Area politics and social/environmental justice organizations a plus.
- Political acumen and prior experience developing and implementing social/environment justice policy campaigns
- Strong oral and written communication, research, analytical skills.
- A strategic and creative problem-solver who can contribute to the development of a regional equity vision and agenda.
- A thorough understanding of environmental, social, and economic justice issues and a demonstrated commitment to positively impact low-income communities and communities of color.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects, tasks and deadlines, and make strategic decisions with a high degree of independence.
- Computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office.
Applications must be submitted by March 31. Interested candidates should e-mail a cover letter, resume, and three references to: email@example.com. Please put “Associate Director, BCLI” in the subject line of your email.
Urban Habitat is an equal opportunity employer, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.