Posted on October 19, 2012
Screening for Mental Health
Screening for Mental Health - Executive Director
Screening for Mental Health, Inc., (SMH) is dedicated to promoting the improvement of mental health by providing the public with education, screening, and treatment resources. SMH pioneered the concept of large-scale mental health screening and education programs in 1991, with its flagship program, National Depression Screening Day (NDSD). SMH programs — provided both in-person and online — educate, raise awareness, and screen individuals for depression, bipolar disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder, eating disorders, alcohol use disorders, and suicide.
Reporting to the Chairman of the Board, who also serves as SMH’s Medical and Scientific Director, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for SMH’s staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. S/he will develop and maintain deep knowledge of field, core programs, operations, and business plans.
Leadership & Management:
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals
- Actively engage and energize partnering organizations, funders, and clients
- Organize and develop the annual board meeting in collaboration with Chairman of the Board
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain SMH’s high-performance senior management team
- Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents.
Fundraising & Communications:
- Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and expansion with the assistance of the director of external relations
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand with the assistance of the director of communications and marketing
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities
Planning & New Business:
- Design the national expansion and complete the strategic business planning process for the program expansion into new markets.
- Begin to build partnerships in new markets, establishing relationships with the funders and political and community leaders with assistance of the director of external relations.
- Be an external local and national presence that publishes and communicates program results with an emphasis on the successes of the local program as a model for regional and national replication.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
The ED will be thoroughly committed to SMH’s mission. All finalists will have proven leadership, coaching and relationship management experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- An advanced degree, ideally an MBA, and/or MPH, PhD, EdD, with at least 10 years of senior management experience; track record of effectively leading and nationally scaling a performance- and outcomes-based organization and staff
- Experience in and/or knowledge of the field of mental health
- A successful track record of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and successfully manage a budget
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to think strategically and work collaboratively with diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
To apply, email a résumé AND cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org summarizing your interest in SMH, how you fit the role, AND how you learned of this opportunity. Be sure to put “SMH ED” in subject line of email.
Screening for Mental Health is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer with a demonstrated commitment to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of the communities it serves.