Posted on October 18, 2012
Get Smart Schools
Get Smart Schools - Get Smart Schools
Get Smart Schools (GSS) is a nonprofit organization in Colorado dedicated to dramatically increasing the number of high-quality, autonomous schools serving low-income students throughout the state. Founded in 2008 with the cooperation of several local foundations, school leaders, and nonprofit organizations, Get Smart Schools’ mission is to support the creation of new schools that raise the academic achievement of historically underserved students in Colorado's urban communities. In order to achieve this goal, GSS focuses its efforts in two broad directions:
- Training and developing leaders through the GSS Fellowship to open and run high-performing, autonomous schools
- Advocating and developing consensus for policies that improve the conditions on the ground for autonomous schools and enhance their prospects for success.
Executive Director Opportunity
The Board of Get Smart Schools now seeks a bold, visionary Executive Director who can capitalize on the momentum of the past five years, provide leadership, and work collaboratively with the board and staff members to take the organization to the next level, as measured both by the size of the GSS Fellowship program and the magnitude of its impact.
Additionally, the new Executive Director will have the opportunity to galvanize the GSS team behind a shared vision and build a dynamic culture for a growing organization. Specifically, over the next two years, the new Executive Director will be expected to:
The Executive Director reports to the GSS Board of Directors and works closely with the Colorado Nonprofit Development Center, the organization’s fiscal agent, to manage an annual budget of approximately $1 million. The Executive Director oversees 6 staff members.
- Evaluate potential expansion models and execute on a growth strategy to increase the cumulative impact of GSS
- Diversify and expand the GSS revenue stream and create a funding model that supports program expansion
- Build the GSS brand by engaging stakeholders at all levels
- Create a strong organizational culture and develop systems to support staff performance and retention.
The Executive Director serves as the leader of Get Smart Schools by developing the organization’s vision and strategy and ensuring that all programs meet/exceed performance outcomes. As such, the Executive Director is responsible for the strategic growth, sustainability, and culture of GSS and its programs.
Successful candidates must bring experience and skills in the following areas:
- A track record of leadership, including at least seven years of professional experience and demonstrated success managing a complex, high-performing organization, division or project
- A commitment to building a network of outstanding school leaders to run new schools in Colorado
- Demonstrated ability to develop a strategic vision and design and launch new initiatives and programs
- Enthusiastic willingness and demonstrated ability to raise substantial funds
- Experience successfully engaging diverse stakeholders
- Experience building and managing high-performing teams in a variety of professional contexts
- Knowledge of effective leadership approaches and how to build leadership skills in dedicated professionals.
- Ideally, candidates will also bring
- Proven understanding of and/or experience with the educational reform landscape and school leader development
- Knowledge of effective advocacy techniques and a willingness to engage in developing effective public policy that supports the development of strong autonomous schools
- Experience evaluating, investing in, creating, or managing a high-performing school
- Experience in working with a governing board
- A bachelor’s degree and/or substantial experience in leading organizations and driving effective growth.
Candidates for the position must possess the following personal characteristics:
- An entrepreneurial spirit and a collaborative style
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- A flexible nature and the ability to operate in a dynamic environment
- The confidence to engage stakeholders in tackling tough questions
- Dedication to excellence
- Integrity and a strong work ethic.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Carolyn McCormick of Peak HR Consulting LLC at Carolyn.McCormick@peakhrconsulting.com. All applications are to be submitted via email. To learn more about Get Smart Schools and our work, please visit our website at www.getsmartschools.org.
Get Smart Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer.