Posted on February 15, 2013
Senior Manager, Media Outreach Strategist
New York, NY or London, UK
Rainforest Alliance - Senior Manager, Media Outreach Strategist
Reports to: Director, Communications & Marketing - Communications, Marketing & Education Division
Location: New York, NY or London, UK
The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behaviour. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
Based in London or New York City, the Senior Manager, Media Outreach Strategy will be responsible for developing and overseeing strategies for the effective use of creative content aimed at increasing awareness of the Rainforest Alliance’s mission and work among the organization’s wide-ranging stakeholders worldwide. S/he will guide and collaborate with colleagues, businesses, NGOs, government representatives, journalists and others to ensure that they have the tools and information necessary to promote and inform their audiences about the organization’s achievements.
- Drive media outreach and other promotional strategies for the organization as a whole and for specific targeted audiences in order to meet programmatic objectives;
- Track media developments and trends, cultivating new media relationships where appropriate and continually seeking out promotional vehicles and opportunities;
- Collaborate closely with staff and representatives working with media in other countries to ensure efforts and messages are consistent;
- Position key Rainforest Alliance staff members as spokespeople and to promote organizational thought leadership;
- Prepare for and orchestrate responses to media crisis;
- Analyze effectiveness of the communications tools used by the organization; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or Journalism;
- 10 years’ experience in journalism, public relations, or nonprofit, government or business communications;
- Proven track record in strategic media outreach and marketing work;
- Strong project management and organizational skills;
- Experience in managing staff;
- Demonstrated interest in conservation, corporate social responsibility and/or international development issues;
- Superior written, verbal, organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills;
- Flexibility and willingness to work independently on a wide range of tasks and projects;
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment; and
- Written and verbal proficiency in a foreign language preferred.
Commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package provided
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.
Send resume, cover letter and salary history to Human Resources, Rainforest Alliance, 233 Broadway, 28th Floor, New York, NY 10279; Fax: 212-677-2187; E-mail: Personnel@ra.org. If emailing, use the following format in the subject line: first name and last name, job title and position you are applying for.