Posted on October 17, 2012
Hispanics in Philanthropy
Hispanics in Philanthropy - Development Coordinator
Hispanics in Philanthropy (HIP) is a transnational network of more than 500 grantmakers, donors and philanthropic leaders who share a commitment to improving resources for the Latino civil sector, encouraging the participation of Latinos in philanthropy and increasing the effectiveness of philanthropy through greater equity and diversity. The organization and its membership are committed to increasing the share of philanthropic dollars targeting Latinos in the US and abroad.
The Development Coordinator will assist the President and other staff members with all aspects of fundraising and communications, including cultivation and solicitation of foundations, corporate funders and individual donors. The ideal candidate is a skilled and talented writer and editor, has experience composing grant proposals, and understands how to position proposals to meet funder requirements. He or she must have excellent organizational skills and should be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Write and prepare grant proposals for both specific programs and general operating funds
- Write and prepare grant reports for current funders
- Keep track of proposals and grant reports due, and work with other staff members to meet deadlines
- Manage and update grant proposals and report information in HIP’s grant database system (Salesforce)
- Keep staff appraised of fundraising efforts and successes, including the preparing of monthly fundraising reports and collaborating with senior staff on the Development Plan for the board
- Conduct regular prospect research to identify new grant opportunities, in coordination with HIP’s Program staff
- Work with staff and volunteers on cultivation and solicitation of funders
A commitment to Hispanics in Philanthropy’s vision and mission
SALARY and BENEFITS
- Excellent writing skills in a variety of styles, including technical writing for grant proposals and creative writing for communication materials
- Accuracy and clarity in all writing, research and editing tasks
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to keep track of and make progress on various tasks at the same time
- Prior grantwriting experience is preferred
- High professional and ethical standards
- Bachelor’s degree (English, Communications or Journalism, a plus)
- A proven track record of results, an ability to be focused and detailed, to meet deadlines and juggle multiple tasks, to be organized and effective
- Must be a flexible team player, while keeping a big-picture perspective and a sense of humor
- Ability to manage high-pressure situations and respond with aplomb to the unexpected
- Must be tech savvy with a demonstrated proficiency in a Windows environment, including word processing, database and spreadsheet work
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred, but not essential
- Experience and high comfort level in multicultural or international environments (including the Americas), a plus
HIP offers a competitive compensation package with benefits that include medical, dental and vision insurance, two weeks of paid vacation initially, paid holidays, and up to nine days of sick leave.
Please send a cover letter, a resume, a writing sample (preferably a past grant proposal) and three professional references to email@example.com. The cover letter should include 2-3 examples of professional successes or accomplishments.