Posted on October 16, 2012
Youth Leadership Institute
Youth Leadership Institute - Development Manager
President/CEO or Development Director
1.0 FTE/Regular, Exempt
$65,000 - $70,000 base plus benefits
Open until filled
The Youth Leadership Institute (YLI) is a social justice organization that helps youth develop the skills to lead policy and community change. Our approach creates opportunities for young people and their adult allies to come together to transform our communities. We provide them with the tools they need to transform youth-serving systems and communities into places where all youth feel valued and supported. YLI designs and implements community-based programs that provide youth with opportunities to assume leadership roles in the areas of action research, evaluation, prevention, philanthropy, and policy and civic engagement- all with the goal of bringing youth voices to decision-making tables. Building on these real-world program experiences, YLI creates evidence-based curricula and training programs that are disseminated across the country through our training and technical assistance services.
Our goal is to create systems and communities where all youth receive the support and opportunities they need to participate in the decision-making that affects their lives and to have their basic needs met. To this end, YLI promotes youth development strategies and youth leadership in social change efforts through our community-based programs, policy advocacy work and our training and technical assistance services.
Youth Leadership Institute’s base of funding is primarily comprised of both public and private grants and contracts, and contracts for evaluation, training and consulting services. YLI currently operates with an annual budget of $3.0 million. As the demand for our services increases, YLI seeks to expand our base of funding, as well as our visibility in the youth leadership and development field. YLI seeks a dynamic, motivated and inspired development professional who will work closely with the CEO to building an infrastructure and execute a plan to cultivate, solicit and secure the Institute’s funding and resources and from foundation, government, corporate, and individual sources, and to manage the organizations grant development and grant writing functions.
Primary Function: This primary function of this staff person is to manage the daily activities of YLI’s development programs. Specifically, the Development Manager:
- Assists in the development of goals and strategies for all fundraising campaigns;
- Arranges and attends meetings with donors and prospective donors to create and foster relationships
- Creates a balanced funding mix of donor sources and solicitation programs tailored to the needs of the organization.
The ideal candidate will be an energetic and creative profession, with a hearty appetite for learning coupled with an ability to operate as part of a team. The person will be familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures. In addition, the person relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks; and leads and directs the work of others.
The person should understand and translate the impact of the organization’s work on the ground, while also shaping and envisioning the bigger picture of YLI today and into the future. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
1. Grant and donor development:
- Oversee and expand strategies for increasing funding from public and private funders;
- Evaluate, strengthen and maintain database of current and past funders;
- Identify corporate and foundation prospective funders;
- Utilize dynamic thinking abilities to grow and diversify funding sources;
- Proactively seek opportunities for funding and cultivate relationships with potential funders and partners;
- Develop proposals for projects that could attract new funding
- Assist the CEO in developing three-year fundraising strategy
- Build a solid and future oriented infrastructure to build a systematic and robust development plan
- Guide, solicit, steward and secure contributions from individual and corporate donors;
- Stay informed about all YLI program and capacity building developments, including community level programs, training and consulting and evaluation services.
- Qualified candidates must have a minimum of a BA and 3-5 years of demonstrated development experience with broad exposure to all facets of foundation, government, and corporate fund development and grant writing;
- Demonstrated ability and desire to build an infrastructure and systems for donations and gifts from both individuals and corporations;
- Must have a strong ability to motivate volunteers and staff as well as work in a team-oriented environment;
- Must enjoy and express passion for cultivating grant relationships and donor gift solicitation;
- Familiarity with and passion for youth leadership and development practices;
- Strong ability to work in partnership with other organizations, youth and/or adults from communities of color and low-income communities;
- Effective and skilled written and verbal skills; excellent interpersonal skills;
- Attention to detail and excellent follow-through;
- Flexible and good sense of humor
Please send a resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Development Manager in the subject line. No phone calls please. This position is open until filled.
YLI strongly encourages applications from persons of color, women and LGBTQ identified individuals, and from applicants who are bilingual. The Youth Leadership Institute does not discriminate against its employees or applicants based on race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, medical condition, ability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other impermissible basis.