Posted on October 9, 2012
Prospect Research and Database Associate
A Better Chance
A Better Chance - Prospect Research and Database Associate
A Better Chance is the preeminent national resource for identifying, recruiting and developing leaders among young people of color throughout the United States. Through its historic signature program, the College Preparatory Schools Program, A Better Chance has placed more than 13,000 middle and high school students in some of the nation’s finest college preparatory schools, both private and public. Once students graduate from their A Better Chance schools, they become “Alumni.”
The Prospect Research & Database Associate will be responsible for managing the day-to-day activity of the organization’s donor database. S/he will work closely with the Finance and Database Manager to ensure that A Better Chance is able to take full advantage of the many critical needs fulfilled by Raiser’s Edge both now and as the product evolves. The Prospect Research & Database Associate also works closely with key Raiser’s Edge stakeholders and users in departments throughout the organization, providing support, training, and troubleshooting when necessary. This position is also responsible for conducting detailed and intensive research into individual, corporate and private foundation prospects for A Better Chance, and producing research analyses that allow the organization to determine the best prospects and the best approaches for securing funding. Based out of the New York City office, this is a full-time position with a comprehensive be
nefit package. This position reports to the Finance & Database Manager and is available starting January 2, 2013.
- Conduct an assessment of the current Raiser’s Edge database to identify significant gaps
- Develop a proactive research plan using wealth screening data and current prospect information to identify 300 top prospects, and conduct thorough research on these prospects, beginning with those at the top of the pool
- Compile all research in a standard profile format for informational and visual consistency
- Evaluate prospect research to develop initial cultivation strategies
- Conduct prospect research on remainder of prospect pool and enter all information into the Raiser’s Edge database
- Maintain giving and demographic data integrity through best-practices and effective staff training
- Customize and automate data reports, which will support all aspects of the campaign
- Conduct annual clean-up of the database
- Create database standards guide in conjunction with the Finance & Database Manager
- Train appropriate staff members in best practices for prospect and moves management within the database
- Process all gift acknowledgements and tax receipts
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- BS/BA or commensurate professional experience.
- Experience or coursework in statistics and/or library science highly preferred.
- Two (2) or more years of professional experience in fundraising or database management.
- Strong track record in researching individuals and institutional funders.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Excellent analytical skills – ability to connect the dots, unearth trends or hard-to-distinguish patterns, and produce data-backed reports that can support the development of new fundraising and Alumni engagement strategies.
- Excellent computer skills and advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office programs and Raiser’s Edge, or other similar database platforms.
- Exemplary communication, writing, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong project management skills and ability to prioritize and manage multiple priorities without compromising quality.
- Flexibility and ability to work independently and as a team player with a wide range of constituents and colleagues.
- Strong work ethic and a commitment to the mission and growth of A Better Chance.
Please submit a résumé, cover letter indicating salary requirements, and a 1-3 page writing sample that demonstrates your analytical ability (ie., a redacted individual or donor research profile) to (Mr.) Faran Nadir, Finance and Database Manager, at Careers2@abetterchance.org. Cover letters without salary requirements will be prioritized lower. No phone calls, please.