Posted on October 5, 2012
IT Senior Network Engineer
Population Services International
Population Services International - IT Senior Network Engineer
The Senior Network Engineer is responsible for all aspects of the corporate IT infrastructure, including but not limited to the planning, architecture, design, management, and support for hardware/software, security, system availability, accessibility, reliability, and recoverability under the general direction of the IT Operations Manager and/or Chief Information Officer. He/she works closely with internal and external technical resources and applications support teams as a subject matter expert. He/she will coordinate activities with PSI field offices to assist with the assessment, design, and architecture of IT infrastructure and operational components. He/she works with minimal supervision performing installs, modifications and repairs to network computing hardware and software systems. He/she will demonstrate excellent customer service, organizational, and administrative skills with special attention to detail; the ability to manage large workloads and organize work efficiently under limited supervision; an ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks within deadlines; demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team; and full capacity for problem-solving. This position is based in Washington, D.C., and reports to the IT Operations Manager.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Serve as lead network engineer for corporate IT infrastructure located in Washington, DC and in distributed collocation facilities.
- Provide technical architectural planning, design, selection, configuration, support, and troubleshooting services for multi-site, enterprise infrastructure solutions.
- Coordinate closely with PSI field staff as needed to review systems and staffing needs, to provide guidance and direction on systems implementation efforts, and to provide direct support and assistance as required.
- Assist management with key decisions related to technology needs based on business assessment, functional and technical requirements, project deliverables, and budgeted costs.
- Serve as the lead support engineer for the Lawson S3 product and all peripheral applications.
- Serve as technical project manager for priority IT projects.
- Support, configure, and troubleshoot all network devices including, but not limited to routers, firewalls, switches, web content appliances, and network storage devices.
- Perform disaster recovery and backup solution planning, implementation, and support activities based on business assessment definitions and Recovery Point, and Recovery Time objectives.
- Ability to work with and communicate with key decision makers in the organization to determine technology needs based on business requirements
- Implement and coordinate the creation of network-related IT policies, procedures and manuals.
- As needed, provide Tier 2 and 3 end-user support and call resolution support.
- Up to 25% international travel may be required.
- Will require scheduled after hours and weekend network/system maintenance. Responsible for rotational after hours on-call availability.
Bachelor degree in Computer Science or Information Technology (preferred). Alternatively, Bachelor degree in Engineering or Physical Science fields of study or equivalent professional experience.
Minimum 10 years experience in network design and network systems administration in a multi-site enterprise (300+ node) environment designing and supporting the following technologies: Microsoft Server 200x, Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft SQL Server 200x, VMWare host virtualization products, Dell/HP/EMC storage solutions (both fiber channel and iSCSI), and enterprise archive/backup products.
Minimum 10 years experience designing and supporting enterprise messaging and communications products including Microsoft Exchange 5.5 and greater, Google Apps for Business, or equivalent (e.g. Novell Groupwise, Lotus Notes.)
Minimum 5 years advanced internetworking design and management skills with Cisco internetworking products. Demonstrated hands-on experience performing switch and router configuration using supported protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, RIP, BGP, IPSEC (VPN), etc.) Demonstrated experience with DNS and DHCP design and configuration.
Must have strong organizational skills and multi-tasking capabilities, excellent communication skills and demonstrated project management skills for enterprise initiatives. Able to work with minimal supervision and prioritize work appropriately.
Experience in designing and supporting global communications networks, ideally in developing countries.
Demonstrated ability to negotiate hardware/software service and technical support contracts with vendors.
Must be able to lift up to 35 lbs of equipment unassisted.
Fluency in English is required. French, Spanish, or Portuguese language skills are a plus.
APPLY ONLINE at www.psi.org. No calls or emails, please.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.