Posted on October 3, 2012
Marketing and Fundraising Associate
Soccer Without Borders
Soccer Without Borders - Marketing and Fundraising Associate
Soccer Without Borders is seeking a creative and tech-savvy self-starter to join our team in Oakland, CA as a Marketing and Fundraising Associate. Soccer Without Borders (SWB) is a non-profit organization that uses soccer as a vehicle for positive change, providing under-served youth with a toolkit to overcome obstacles to growth, inclusion, and personal success. Since its founding in 2006, SWB has built collaborative programs around the USA and abroad, currently serving more than 1,300 youth annually through seven programs and twelve camps in four countries, and an additional 5,000+ through outreach efforts.
Soccer Without Borders is a team of passionate, hard-working folks with the unwavering belief that a positive team environment can be a game-changer for youth. Our core values underpin all that we do (authenticity, process-oriented, and a focus on the whole person) in addition to drawing on the strengths of “team” at every level. We laugh at each other’s bad jokes, we share nascent ideas, and we spend a lot of time on Skype and Google Chat. We are committed to providing free programs to youth who may not otherwise have access. SWB Youth have so much potential; we want a team of folks who are impassioned by the idea that every young person deserves the chance to realize theirs.
Our team is made up of phenomenal coaches, teachers, linguists, youth development gurus, and generally kind and wonderful people. Your skills complement the team perfectly; you are creative, curious, and a master of the written and spoken word. You have a knack for telling a story, whether through social media, blogs, photos, videos, newsletters, written features, or formal grant proposals and have some past experience with these. Your dynamic persona includes a strong attention to detail, a proactive nature, and an ability to work both independently and collaboratively. Finally, you love to connect the right donors with the right cause. If you have a majority of these qualities, a bachelor’s degree, and are excited to live in the Bay Area, then we want to get to know you. Bonus points if you’ve already mastered Salesforce, Photoshop, InDesign, Constant Contact, Content Management Systems, and Microsoft Office, but if not, we’ll teach you.
About this Position
The Director of Marketing and Fundraising position is a 35 hour/week, six-month contract position located in Oakland, CA with the possibility of extension. Joining a young and growing organization, the Director of Marketing and Fundraising will have the opportunity to get to know all aspects of the organization, and life in the non-profit, youth development world. The time for this position will break down approximately as follows:
- Identifying and pursuing new funding sources, with a particular emphasis on grant research and writing.
- Working with the SWB Executive Team and individual Program Directors to create and implement annual funding plans.
- Designing fundraising materials, both organization-wide and program-specific.
- Identifying and pursuing potential sponsorship and in-kind donation opportunities.
- Building relationships with key SWB stakeholders, including past volunteers, staff, donors and supporters.
- Planning and executing fundraising campaigns.
- Managing data quality and integrity.
- Designing marketing materials, both organization-wide and program-specific.
- Promoting SWB through local and national media outlets.
- Creating new web content and ensuring a dynamic and updated web presence.
- Growing the SWB social media presence, particularly on Facebook and Twitter.
- Creating content for the quarterly newsletter.
- Overseeing the Ambassadors Program Coordinator and Outreach Team.
- Growing the SWB email distribution list.
- Planning and executing fundraising and awareness-raising events including Small Goals, Big Change Tournaments.
- Managing data quality and integration of distribution lists.
SWB Priorities (10%):
We are a small team that keeps many balls in the air at all time, and the Director of Marketing and Fundraising will become a key member of the team immediately. As such, a portion of time in this position will be spent directly supporting SWB Oakland, and/or participating in other organization-wide projects that match his/her skill set.
Time and Compensation
The Director of Marketing and Fundraising is a 35 hour/week, six-month contract position ($12,500 over six months) to begin in mid-October, reporting directly to the Founding Director and Executive Team. Soccer Without Borders encourages persons of any race, ethnicity, faith, sexual orientation, and background to apply.
Please send an email introduction, a resume with two references, and a short writing sample to Ben Gucciardi, email@example.com with your name in the subject line.