Posted on January 11, 2013
Executive Director of WeCARE Region II
Fedcap Rehabilitation Services
Fedcap Rehabilitation Services - Executive Director of WeCARE Region II
Fedcap Rehabilitation Services, Inc. (“Fedcap”) was founded in the midst of the Great Depression by individuals who wanted to prove that people with certain barriers to employment such as physical disabilities could become productive members of the workforce and of society. Over 75 years later, Fedcap continues in that tradition, offering programs that include evaluation, vocational training, job placement and counseling services, as well as employment, support and advocacy programs. Fedcap helps people overcome obstacles, rebuild their lives, and find and keep meaningful employment.
Because of its commitment to workforce development and social services, Fedcap was recently awarded a contract from the NYC Human Resources Administration (HRA) to run its Region II WeCARE program (Wellness, Comprehensive Assessment, Rehabilitation and Employment or “WeCARE”). WeCARE has the mission of ensuring that public assistance applicants and recipients with medical and/or mental health conditions have an opportunity to transition from welfare to work. The program is a concerted effort to serve this population under one umbrella through a continuum of integrated services designed to help public assistance recipients overcome barriers to employment in order to become more financially self-sufficient.
Program services include medical, mental health and substance abuse assessments and referrals, case management, comprehensive service planning, vocational evaluations, federal disability program application preparation and submission, work readiness and computer skills training, academic and vocational education referrals, work experience internship placement and monitoring, and job placement and retention services. The program is scheduled to be fully operational on or around January 2, 2013 and is expected to serve more than 20,000 clients annually at a combination of six medical and program service sites in Brooklyn and Queens.
Executive leadership will be provided by the Executive Director (“ED”) who will have overall responsibility for directing and managing the project. Reporting directly to the CEO and COO, the ED must be able to create a strategic vision for the program and lead staff to achieve this vision. He or she should have substantial knowledge and experience managing large, complex programs funded by the public sector or other third parties with an emphasis in healthcare, human services and/or workforce development; superior experience managing and leading a large staff; demonstrated strategic planning skills, and the ability to interface with multiple government agencies and subcontractors. The ED will be comfortable monitoring and working with sophisticated technology, and working in a complex, fast-paced atmosphere. He or she will understand the big picture management structure and be mindful of how an organization such as Fedcap functions at the national, state, and local levels, particularly in the healthcare and human service communities.
The successful candidate must be able to quickly and comfortably establish peer relationships with the existing senior management at Fedcap. He or she must also be able to skillfully represent the project to government, organizational partners and subcontractors, other affiliated institutions, as well as the business community. Naturally, he or she will possess outstanding speaking and writing skills, and be able to communicate successfully and persuasively. The ED will be diplomatic, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment and interpersonal skills. A sense of humor under stress is important, and the ability to lead and motivate staff is required.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Overall strategic, policy and operational responsibility for the implementation and management of the WeCARE Program at Fedcap, including program design and organization, budget and financial management, staffing, contractual compliance, performance measurement, training and quality assurance activities.
- Develop and execute an annual strategic plan with the leadership team.
- Executive oversight of all programmatic, financial, policy and administrative management activities and systems of the program. Ensures that the leadership team is effectively managing the entire process flow.
- Represent Fedcap with the New York City Human Resources Administration (HRA), funding source for the WeCARE program, other government entities, hospital partners, subcontractors, consultants and other organizations coordinating services with Fedcap and the WeCARE program. Manage the program contract and budget and ensures that the program processes are in line with the funder’s current policies.
- Establish effective management and financial systems and controls to monitor and evaluate performance and financial outcomes, ensure compliance with contractual obligations and billing milestones, and achieve high quality service delivery
- Participate as a partner with the senior management team of the organization in strategic planning, policy analysis and developing new sources of funding and service delivery systems in the health and human service fields both nationally and internationally.
- Serve as subject matter expert for program operations, providing input to funder based on observations and expertise in specific areas of frontline operations.
- Serve in a senior leadership capacity for Fedcap, collaborating with other directors and executive management in organization governance and strategy.
- Advanced Degree (MA, MS and/or PH.D) from an accredited school in Public Policy, Health Administration, Business Management, Public Administration, Vocational Rehabilitation, Social Services, Non-profit Management or other related management or professional discipline.
- Ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in the not-for-profit, workforce development, social services, healthcare and/or public sectors, in a senior management capacity responsible for policy issues on a broad scale, complex program operations and/or large administrative systems.
- Experience working with public assistance recipients, the homeless, formerly incarcerated people, and those affected by the challenges associated with poverty.
- Demonstrated experience in managing complex budgets and a large professional staff
- Must be skilled in negotiations, budgeting, planning, and financial management, and have a working knowledge of technology and its application to health and human service delivery systems.
- Experience with the New York City Human Resources Administration or other large government systems combined with knowledge of public policy in the welfare to work and workforce development arena preferred.
- Excellent communication, analytical and interpersonal skills.
Salary commensurate with experience. For more information about Fedcap Rehabilitation Services, please visit their website at www.fedcap.org
Fedcap Rehabilitation Services has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Managing Partner
Anne J. McCarthy, Senior Director
Harris Rand Lusk
261 Madison Avenue, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10016