Posted on September 28, 2012
Grant Manager and Program Officer
Stoller Foundation - Grant Manager and Program Officer
The Grants Manager and Program Officer is a critical administrative support position in a small office environment at the Stoller Foundation, located in the west suburb of Spring Branch in Houston, Texas.
Functional Competencies: Investigates assigned program areas and develops a clear understanding of these areas; works with organizations as needed to develop proposals for possible funding; keeps Executive Director informed of program-related activities. Core Competencies: maintains close coordination with staff as needed to accomplish program goals and objectives.
- Develops in-depth knowledge of assigned program areas, including current issues and key resource people and organizations, and a clear understanding of how they fit into the Foundation’s interests.
- Stays informed about, and follows up as necessary, on grant-related issues throughout the grants' duration, compiling reports about the same for the Board. Provides guidance and assistance as necessary to help projects achieve funding goals.
- Helps identify opportunities for the Foundation´s involvement in programming that falls within the purview of the Trustees´ interests and the foundation´s mission.
- Tracks incoming inquiries and develops and maintains adequate resource files for assigned program areas.
- Develops proposals in the assigned initiative program area(s) and formulates recommendations for funding. Ensures that proposal summaries are coherent and accurate, and that all required information is provided. Is prepared to answer any substantive question about the proposals. May entail proactively contacting appropriate organizations to encourage them to develop proposals for possible funding by the Stoller Foundation.
- Initially screens proposals, applying a breadth of knowledge on a wide range of subjects and a clear understanding of the Foundation's interests.
- Develops a complete evaluation plan and coherent rejection rationale for proposals received
- Helps develop a second stage evaluation plan for each proposal recommended for funding. Prepares a periodic review of grants to report on the overall effectiveness of foundation grants.
- Conducts site visits to grantees and potential grantees, and prepares possible opportunities to engage Trustees in these.
- Provides guidance and assistance to nonprofits seeking funding, organizing and monitoring the Stoller Foundation Resource Center, including the foundation’s capacity building partnerships and internships.
- Ensures collection of photographs and human interest stories (as well as other appropriate media, such as video) on a regular basis for every funded project, as well as photo/video documenting Trustee interactions and special events.
- Arrange meetings and site visits, especially those involving members of the Stoller Foundation Board of Directors
- Assists in planning and preparation of appropriate public relations materials to publicize funded projects and promote the foundation’s interests.
- Responsible for the foundation’s online grants management system.
Desired Job Skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detail oriented with a high attention to quality and accuracy
- Highly organized, ability to multi-task, prioritize, track multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Ability to take initiative and anticipate information needed by staff as situations and projects develop
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality, integrity, and professionalism in all aspects of the job
- Demonstrated experience with digital content, especially grants management software
- Comfortable with online environments, able and willing to learn new platforms
- Ability to interact with the general public, executives, and board members in a courteous, professional and tactful manner
- Ability to work independently, as well as with others in a small, collaborative team environment
- Flexibility and willingness to learn new skills
- Travel may be required
- Fluency in a second language desirable, preferably Spanish
- 5+ years experience in related work
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) required, experience with database systems, grants management platforms and other digital content highly desired
- A sincere dedication to the mission of the Stoller Foundation and adherence to the values espoused
Qualified candidates should email a resume and cover letter by October 10, 2012 to: email@example.com.
Due to the high number of applicants for this position, we regret that a confirmation receipt is not automatically provided. We will be in direct contact with candidates who are invited for interviews. No phone calls please.