Posted on September 25, 2012
Donor Research Officer
Concern Worldwide - Donor Research Officer
REPORTS TO: Donor Stewardship Manager
LOCATION: New York Office – 355 Lexington Avenue, 19th Floor, New York, NY 10017
Concern Worldwide is an international, non-governmental humanitarian organization that has more than 3,200 personnel working in 25 of the poorest countries throughout the world. Concern Worldwide focuses on health, education, livelihoods and microfinance, HIV and AIDS, and emergency response programs, directly reaching more than 9.5 million people.
Concern believes in a world where no one lives in fear, where all have access to a decent standard of living and the opportunities essential to a long, healthy and creative life. Our mission is to help people living in absolute poverty achieve major improvements in their lives, improvements that are sustainable without ongoing support from Concern.
Concern Worldwide US is an independent affiliate of Concern Worldwide. The mission is to support the work of Concern Worldwide by financially supporting programs, representing the Concern international network, supporting programs, and recruiting personnel (www.concernusa.org)
The Research Officer reports to the Donor Stewardship Manager and will work closely with the Development Team and Senior Management Team to enhance support for Concern’s overseas programs among US-based private and corporate foundations. The Donor Stewardship team of 3 also serves as a resource to support other Concern US units including the Fundraising and Communication teams.
- Collaborate with the Donor Stewardship Manager to develop strategies to increase funding capacity and maximize donor relationships
- Research and analyze new donor prospects and new opportunities with existing donors to help the fundraising team to meet current and future fundraising goals.
- Map relationships between and among donors and prospects to help identify opportunities for Concern Worldwide to maximize fundraising potential
- Analyze results of wealth and philanthropy screenings of donors to identify those with increased potential
- Ability to distill complex information into clear, well-written documents for fundraising team, senior management and volunteer leadership
- Analyze and produce monthly donor analysis reports for the fundraising teams
- Collaborate with all members of the fundraising team to cultivate and solicit gifts. This includes the preparation and maintenance of donor lists, project information, meeting materials, talking points and progress reports.
- Update and maintain non-gift information on prospective donors in donor database
- Track donors in database, including briefings, event attendance, demographic information, and biographical information.
- Manage the necessary follow-up: edit meeting notes, draft communications, arrange follow-up meetings and prepare necessary materials. Include timely and accurate documentation of conversations and contacts with donors and prospects.
- Assist with special research projects for special events and conferences: e.g. Clinton Global Initiative, World Economic Forum, major conferences
- Develop expert knowledge of the database and develop systems for collecting and managing existing and potential donor data.
- Support other members of the donor care team and fundraising department
- Bachelor degree or equivalent experience required
- Demonstrated experience in managing detailed data accurately and database organization
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Extraordinary customer service, relationship building and networking skills, including exceptional phone and email communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to working as part of a collaborative team, and with senior management
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical reports, business journals and legal documents, including SEC documents
- Aptitude for online search through both public search engines and paid databases to locate biographical, financial and philanthropic information
- Familiarity with prospect research sources, techniques and tools
- Adaptable and willingness to foster strong working relationships with internal and external constituents.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required
- Experience and broad proficiency with Blackbaud/Kintera required.
- Good writing skills and strong working knowledge of power point and other presentation software
- Excellent knowledge and curiosity of global issues and philanthropy research
- Flexibility in work schedule to include occasional early mornings, evenings or weekends
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to manage multiple assignments and prioritize accordingly
- Ability to meet timelines and deadlines
- Ability to think analytically
- Excellent organizational skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy are essential
All eligible candidates should submit the following information to email@example.com.
Résumé & Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role and your current salary details. We would appreciate if you could reference where you saw the position advertised.
All interested candidates must be eligible to work and reside in the US.
Please remember to reference your email application with subject title: RESEARCH OFFICER
We appreciate your interest in the organization and this position. In anticipation of a high volume of applications for this position, we will only be contacting candidates invited for interview. Concern Worldwide US is an Equal Opportunity Employer.