Posted on September 25, 2012
Deputy Country Director
Educate! - Deputy Country Director
Educate! is seeking an ambitious, strategic, and organized Deputy Country Director to be partners with the Country Director to manage all Uganda operations. The ideal candidate will have a passion for working with young people, at least 8 years work experience, have managed and led a team of at least 10 in a larger organization, and possess strong HR and operations management skills in order to grow Educate! in the next several years. With strong performance, the position will be quickly promoted into the Country Director role.
Overview of Educate!
Educate! develops young leaders and entrepreneurs in Africa. Educate! provides a proven mix of a leadership and entrepreneurship course, long-term mentoring, and practical experience starting an enterprise for ‘A’ level/high school students. Watch a short video about Educate! at http://bit.ly/PuRp41 .
Educate! is working with 3,600 diverse youth across Uganda, has grown to a staff of 52 in just four years, and has already incorporated its curriculum into Uganda’s national education system to reach 25,000 students annually. The organization has received the Ashoka and Echoing Green Fellowships, in addition to several international awards, proving out a program model that can be replicated across Africa.
1. Country Strategy and Leadership: Working with the Country Director and Executive Director, oversee organization strategy with a focus on results management and systems development, and ensure annual performance goals are set, reviewed quarterly, and achieved. Create processes to include staff feedback and data-driven recommendations into strategic decision-making.
2. Internal & External Communications: Ensure proper communication within Uganda and with the U.S. based on organization-wide communication plan so that all key stakeholders know everything necessary to achieve their objectives. Maintain key external relationships and increase the organization’s local advisory board by 30%.
3. Human Resource & Operational Systems Management: Build an HR and administrative infrastructure, including policies and procedures that can handle a doubling of staff.
4. Fiduciary Oversight: Ensure financial systems are sound and up to best-in-class audit standards. Oversee financial management of Educate!’s Uganda operations, including cost-containment on expenditures, timely and accurate monthly financial reporting, budgeting and financial controls.
5. Research & Evaluation Oversight: Manage research and evaluation personnel to ensure termly reporting on three programs.
- Oversee that Human Resource policies are documented, communicated, and upheld.
- Ensure that every staff has documented key functional areas, job descriptions, and performance objectives.
- Diagnose any staffing or capacity gaps early and resolve quickly. Recruit to fill all empty positions with high caliber people recruited through a rigorous process
- Manage, develop, and evaluate a team of department managers and program director, ensuring 80% staff retention.
In order to thrive at Educate!, a candidate must:
- Have spent at least one year living in Sub-Saharan Africa and have educational experience outside of Uganda. Candidates who are East African or have experience working in Uganda are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Be a leader who motivates and attracts talented people around him/her and creates loyalty, trust and dedication among team members
- Be a systems-builder who enjoys organizing and structuring in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment
- Be a problem-solver who can manage new and unexpected challenges
- Demonstrate knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, and personnel information systems.
- Exhibit commitment to the professional development of him/herself
- Energetic and entrepreneurial motivation for high achievement
- Strong project management skills
- Passionate to spend his/her life helping teenagers and work with youthful people to make the world a better place
- Strong ability to communicate with diverse groups, keep stakeholders informed, & foster mutual respect
Terms and Compensation
Compensation will be competitive and based on experience. Health insurance will be included. Position reports to Educate! Country Director.
Application deadline will be rolling, with goal to fill position ASAP. To apply, please email a CV, cover letter, list of references, with subject header "Deputy Country Director – Where you found the job description – Your Name” to email@example.com. If someone referred you for this position, please include his/her name in the subject as “Referral: Her Name”.