Posted on September 25, 2012
Educate! - Development Director
Educate! is seeking an ambitious, strategic, organized and entrepreneurial Fundraising Mastermind (aka Development Director) to be sidekick to the Executive Director and manage all fundraising for the organization. Because this is a new position, the Development Director will have the opportunity to build the organization's development function. The ideal candidate will have at least 4 years work experience, including two years in a sales/fundraising/external role, have terrific writing skills, and be a great project manager in order to grow Educate! from almost $1 million in annual revenue in 2012 to $2-3 million in the next few years.
Overview of Educate!
Educate! develops young entrepreneurs and leaders in Africa. It provides a proven mix of a leadership and entrepreneurship course, long term mentoring, practical experience starting an enterprise, and an alumni network for high school aged youth. Watch a short video about Educate! at http://bit.ly/PuRp41.
Educate! is working with 3,600 diverse youth across Uganda, has already incorporated its curriculum into Uganda’s education system to reach 25,000 students annually, and is developing a model that can be replicated across Africa. It has received the Ashoka and Echoing Green Fellowships as well as numerous international awards for its work, and grown from zero to a team of 52 and almost $1 million in revenue in four years.
1. Fundraising Strategy: Working with the Executive Director, create and drive forward a fundraising strategy, based primarily on foundation grants and individual major gifts, that grows revenue 30% annually
2. Fundraising and Communications: Lead all organization-wide appeals and pitches necessary to grow revenue 30% annually, employing contractors, one support staff and interns when necessary
- Leveraging outstanding sales and project management skills, drive execution of fundraising strategy at all stages of cultivation (prospecting, relationship building, pitching, and stewardship) to maximize value of all relationships
- Write exceptional grants that close and manage grant reporting to ensure renewal
- Oversee consistent strategic communication with key stakeholders through annual report, annual newsletter, monthly email, and individualized updates to investors that moves all stakeholders through stages of cultivation
- Oversee org-wide messaging and collateral, including website and video, to convey impact and potential in a clear and compelling way
3. Fundraising Operations: Manage one support team member and a team of interns to run an efficient back-end fundraising operation that drives revenue through:
4. Other Relationship Management: Manage and maximize value of relationships with board members and key stakeholders, including a portfolio of investors
- Best practice mail and email appeals (at least twice a year)
- A rigorous, organized, focused and prioritized foundation and individual prospecting process
- Appropriate systems and processes for effective tracking and analysis, timely recognition, and appropriate communication with all investors
In order to thrive at Educate!, a candidate must:
- Excel in an entrepreneurial, rapidly growing and virtual environment with minimal supervision
- Exhibit commitment to the professional development of him/herself
- Eagerly jump on opportunities to go beyond expectations and solve new challenges by developing necessary skills
- Has proven track-record of high achievement in unstructured settings
- Passionate about spending his/her life making the world a better, more equitable place
- Committed to international development/education
- Has strong project management and organization abilities
- Confident and comfortable writing content for a variety of stakeholders
- Strategic and entrepreneurial
- Is personable and likes working with a variety people
- Has at least 4 years work experience, including two years in a sales/fundraising/external role, with a developed knack for sales
- Able to work virtually with occasional travel, including trips to Africa. Can ration resources entrepreneurially
- Ability to live in New York area highly preferable, but not a must
Terms and Compensation
Compensation will be competitive and based on experience. Health insurance will be included. Position reports to Educate! Executive Director.
Application deadline will be rolling, with goal to fill position ASAP. To apply, please email a resume, cover letter, list of references, and one writing sample of at least 3 pages ideally written to sell an idea, with subject header "Development Director – Where you found the position – Your Name” to firstname.lastname@example.org. If someone refered you for this position, please include his/her name in the subject as “Referal: Name”.