Posted on September 21, 2012
Director of Development
Family and Children's Services of Central Maryland
Family and Children's Services of Central Maryland - Director of Development
The Director of Development should be a results-oriented leader with a proven track record who can create and implement a fund raising strategy quickly and effectively. The successful candidate should be able to work creatively within a changing, sometimes challenging, environment. The candidate needs to have a strong belief in and understanding of the mission of FCS. The Director of Development should possess strong, persuasive interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to articulate compelling messages for support that generate enthusiasm and commitment among stakeholders. He/she will have frequent interaction with others and must work collaboratively with all levels of staff, governing and advisory board members, volunteers, donors, and prospective donors. The Director of Development should possess an understanding of how to effectively build consensus around our mission with a sense of immediacy in achieving fund raising goals, as well as great appreciation of the teamwork required to succeed organizationally.
The DOD must have the ability to plan, set goals and objectives, organize, and follow through, valuing practical accomplishments, results, and rewards. He/she must have a strong sense of self-management, with an ability to set priorities and complete multiple tasks simultaneously in order to deliver desired outcomes within allotted time frames. The ability to communicate the role and practice of development internally is a plus.
The DOD will be part of the Senior Management team, and will work closely with our Board of Directors (20+ members) and the local advisory boards that we have in each county in which we serve. The DOD’s responsibilities include the following duties, and others as assigned:
- Implementing strategy for and oversight of individual giving program, including direct mail, donor cultivation/stewardship, one-on-one solicitations, and prospect research/identification;
- Implementing strategy for and oversight of institutional giving program, including collaborating with senior level staff on establishing and maintaining relationships with foundation and corporate grant makers, and prospecting;
- Taking a leading role in efforts to raise $100,000 in matching funds for a $500,000 grant that FCS received to provide comprehensive case management and coordination of care for at risk seniors and caregivers across Central Maryland.
- Acting as liaison with the Board of Directors, including facilitating board involvement in solicitations, identifying prospective members for both the governing and advisory boards, and managing board giving;
- Supporting our local county advisory boards and assisting with their fundraising efforts;
- Working closely with the leadership of FCS MD LLC, a related entity whose purpose is to promote FCS in the community, and to assist and support FCS’s fundraising efforts.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required and a minimum of four years of broad fund raising experience. A working knowledge of direct mail, special events, database management, and major gifts is required. The agency has Raiser’s Edge and a data base manager for it.
- Excellent oral communication and writing, editing, and presentational skills are required. Overall computer literacy and proficiency with Microsoft programs, including but not limited to Excel, Outlook, and Word is required, plus the ability to learn other software programs as needed.
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive salary and benefits, including medical, dental, vacation, sick, and personal days, holidays, a retirement savings plan, and long term disability.
For consideration, please email resume to email@example.com