Posted on October 12, 2012
Legacy Giving Officer
World Society for the Protection of Animals
World Society for the Protection of Animals - Legacy Giving Officer
The World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA), one of the world’s largest animal welfare organizations, has an exciting opportunity for a proactive Legacy Giving Officer.
This is a unique opportunity to help strengthen and build the U.S. fundraising program of an international organization in a new U.S. office in New York City. The Legacy Giving Officer will generate support from legacy giving prospects, as well as steward donors with existing legacy commitments. In addition to the U.S. development team, s/he will also work collaboratively with fundraisers in other country offices and the international fundraising team in London.
The Legacy Giving Officer reports to the U.S. Director of Development and will play a key role in a development department charged with raising more than $6M annually in 2013, with an ambitious plan for ongoing growth. S/he will help develop strategies to meet our annual goals and to expand/retain our legacy giving donor base. Using relationship building and development skills, the Legacy Giving Officer will have a significant impact on WSPA’s fundraising activities and help to build the future of a growing global organization.
Reports to: Director of Development
Job Class: Full-time, Exempt
- Identify, cultivate and solicit potential legacy gift donors
- Set goals for legacy gifts and regularly report progress to goal
- Create pipeline of legacy gift prospects
- Conduct a minimum of 100 annual calls on donors to solicit a legacy gift
- Prepare call reports following visits or other contacts with donors
- Respond to and follow-up on legacy giving inquiries
- Create a legacy giving marketing plan to cultivate and steward ongoing donors and legacy giving prospects
- Create and maintain a legacy giving recognition society for donors
- Create and implement stewardship plans to maintain ongoing relationships with donors who have made legacy giving commitments
- Develop marketing materials to support contact, marketing and calls with potential donors
- Develop legacy giving marketing through the WSPA website
- Keep current on legacy giving trends and legal requirements
- Other duties deemed necessary
- Bachelor’s degree with 2+ years of experience in the legacy giving or development fields.
- Proven track record of success in relationship based fund development
- Proficiency in Microsoft office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Web-based research skills, and comfortable working with social media networks (Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
- Working knowledge of RasiersEdge preferred
- Strong oral/written communication skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Highly organized, able to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Proactive, flexible and team player
This is a full time, New York City-based position. Salary is commensurate with candidate’s experience and this position includes competitive benefits offered to full-time WSPA employees. Candidates wishing to be considered in the first round please send a cover letter including salary requirements and resume to: email@example.com. For consideration WSPA-HR5-LG must be in the subject line. Position will remain open until filled.
Applications without salary requirements will not be considered.