Posted on September 18, 2012
Volunteer Interpretation Program Coordinator
San Francisco Education Fund
San Francisco Education Fund - San Francisco Education Fund
Join a passionate team dedicated to advancing a reform agenda focused on equity in San Francisco public schools. The Volunteer Interpretation Program Coordinator position offers an opportunity to further our impact in schools and build community through the recruitment, training and placement of volunteer interpreters.
The San Francisco Education Fund is the oldest non-profit dedicated to strengthening San Francisco’s public schools. The Education Fund works to increase the number of students from San Francisco's highest need communities who graduate high school ready for college, career, and civic responsibility. The Education Fund catalyzes change at individual school sites while also contributing to district-wide reform in the San Francisco Unified School District in two powerful and interlocking ways:
- College Success in Schools – An intensive data informed approach in a limited number of schools that aligns the resources available (including school resources, CBO’s, and volunteers) to ensure that all students have the knowledge and support to graduate high school, enroll in and succeed in college.
- Public Engagement – Informed by our work in schools, the public is provided the information, guidance and training to participate in public school reform and improvement as volunteers, donors, advocates and voters.
Additional information can be found at www.sfedfund.org.
The Volunteer Interpretation Program is designed to increase parent involvement in education by fostering open channels of communication between non-English speaking parents and the school staff at their child’s school. The Volunteer Interpretation Program Coordinator will oversee all aspects of the program including developing new strategies for the recruitment, training and support of volunteers; working in collaboration with Education Fund and SFUSD staff; and performing continuous evaluation and adjustment of the program to ensure its success within the schools and for future funding purposes.
- Oversee the coordination and day-to-day management of the Volunteer Interpretation Program, including the creation, implementation and execution of a recruitment & interview strategy, volunteer clearance, training plan and ongoing support and engagement for volunteer interpreters
- Collaborate with the Education Fund’s Volunteer Engagement team to increase volunteer requests and manage volunteer interpreter placements; work with school communities and school site staff including local parent organizations to ensure program demand
- Manage and document program activities to evaluate program quality and effectiveness by creating and running reports, collecting evaluations, documenting impact, and traveling to various school sites to evaluate volunteers’ services and interview school staff for feedback
- Manage the program calendar and budget in collaboration with the Manager of Community Engagement
- Act as the liaison with the SFUSD Assistant to the Superintendent and Translation & Interpretation Unit to create/align strategies and streamline processes
- Market the Volunteer Interpretation Program and recruit interpreter volunteers in collaboration with the Volunteer Engagement team
- Assist the Development team with completion of reports and proposals to existing and prospective program funders
- Provide front desk support by answering phones, greeting volunteers and visitors, maintaining front desk coverage, scheduling, and facilities appearance in greeting area
- Other duties as assigned; non-essential job duties, non-related responsibilities and other tasks as required by the Executive Director may be assigned from time to time -- the Education Fund is a small non-profit organization requiring flexibility from its staff
Required Qualifications: Commitment to improving public education through community involvement; Bilingual skills in English/Cantonese or English/Spanish; Experience in interpretation (state licensed court interpreter); Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point; Self-directed and motivated; Ability to work with minimal supervision and multitask to deliver results under deadlines; Excellent communication and organizational skills; Ability to work in a team environment; Strong project management, facilitation and negotiation skills; Ability to work effectively with teachers, principals, school site staff, community members, parents, and businesses; Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent work experience; Willingness to oversee events/orientations on evenings and/or weekends.
Desired Qualifications: Interest in and commitment to public education; Experience working in schools; Presentation and public speaking skills; Experience working with African-American, Asian, Latino or other ethnic communities; Experience with Salesforce online database or general experience with databases; Experience with program coordination, oversight, and/or management.
Compensation and Start Date
The Education Fund provides a competitive salary and benefits package, including generous vacation, medical, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, a 401(k) retirement plan and other fringe benefits. Starting salary range: $42,600 to $45,000
Preferred Start Date: ASAP
AA/EOE. No phone calls, please. Email cover letter and resume (as one Word document or PDF file) to Laura Martinez Marr, at firstname.lastname@example.org with "Volunteer Interpretation Program Coordinator" in the subject line. Resumes submitted without cover letters will not be reviewed. This position will remain open until filled; complete applications will be reviewed as they are received.