Posted on September 18, 2012
Director of Planning and Performance
Global Footprint Network
Global Footprint Network - Director of Planning and Performance
Global Footprint Network promotes a sustainable economy by advancing the Ecological Footprint, a tool that makes sustainability measurable. Together with our partners, we coordinate research, develop methodological standards, and provide decision makers with robust resource accounts to help the human economy operate within the Earth's ecological limits. Global Footprint Network is currently seeking a Director of Planning & Performance.
The Director of Planning & Performance is a mission-focused, visionary yet tactical process-minded individual with the ability and experience to help drive our organization towards implementing a robust Planning & Performance Management System. This Management Team role will also be a key driver in assisting the senior management team in the development and implementation of a team-oriented culture among a group of diverse, talented individuals.
The successful candidate will have the integrity and intra-personal confidence to tap into the skill-set that each member of the team brings to Global Footprint Network's mission. Whilst it is essential that the Director of Planning & Performance - under the direction of the VP of Operations - establish efficient and effective systems to increase the productivity and capacity (both human and technical) of the organization, it is also critical that personnel retain the entrepreneurial spark that has made Global Footprint Network so successful to date. The Director of Planning & Performance will report directly to the Vice President of Operations. This position will be located at Global Footprint Network's offices in Oakland, CA.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop and maintain performance standards, job descriptions, performance goals and objectives in collaboration with the Executive Committee and department directors.
- Work with the Executive Committee to help build the management planning & performance systems needed to support the staff across all Global Footprint Network's offices.
- Liaise with the Executive Committee to support the management team, department directors and staff in achieving their goals and targets.
- Lead the day-to-day organizational planning process, implementation and operations to deliver to the required levels of performance and impact.
- Liaise with departmental directors to foster cross-departmental coordination and delivery of services.
- To provide training and guidance to departmental staff, senior managers, members on performance and service improvement.
- Define and drive the execution of the quality assurance process for data, software, analysis, and reports across the organization, as needed.
- Define and foster a culture of learning and continuous improvement through project debriefs client feedback and other processes.
- Drive the process to enable the provision of regular and ongoing opportunities for all staff to give feedback on culture and organizational effectiveness.
- Liaise with the Director of Admin & HR to improve staff development and retention systems, and in the creation of competency frameworks and policies that help employees grow professionally at Global Footprint Network.
- Improve current performance evaluation to account for the effectiveness of teams.
- Develop management training program for project managers and department directors.
- Oversee systems for assessing the impact (e.g., balanced scorecard) of the organization as a whole, as well as for individual initiatives.
The successful candidate will have the following minimum qualifications:
- Minimum 10 years of experience in consulting, business, and/or research, including at least 5 years in a director level position
- MBA or graduate degree in a related field
- Strong analytical and quantitative abilities
- Passion for sustainability and global resource issues
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to the mission of Global Footprint Network
- Exceptional capacity for developing teams through coaching and mentoring staff
- Ability to connect with staff both on an individual level and in groups
- Ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team
- Capacity to enforce accountability and learn the strengths and weaknesses of a team in order to position individuals and teams for success
- Flexibility and the ability to work within an ambiguous, fast-paced environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. Health insurance, 403(b) and other benefits are provided. Our collegial, open-plan office is located in an attractive neighborhood with good transit access. Our daily communal lunches are light-hearted and often delicious.
Application deadline is September 19th at 5:00pm PST.
To apply send cover letter and resume to email@example.com; subject line MUST include the term "Director of Planning and Performance application." No phone calls please.
Global Footprint Network is committed to diversity in the workplace. For more information about Global Footprint Network and the Ecological Footprint visit: www.footprintnetwork.org.