Posted on September 12, 2012
Environmental Educator I, Program Specialist
Nature Center at Shaker Lakes
Nature Center at Shaker Lakes - Environmental Educator I, Program Specialist
Environmental Educator I – Program Specialist
Reports to: Education Director
Job Type: Employee, Exempt
Job Status: Part-time, 30 hours/week, with potential to increase to full-time depending on funding
General Description: The Nature Center at Shaker Lakes (NCSL), a 501(c)(3) non-profit founded in 1966 and located in the historic Shaker Parklands of Cleveland’s eastern inner-ring suburbs, seeks a creative and committed Environmental Educator to work with the Education Director and staff to carry out its educational program goals. The Nature Center’s mission, vision, programs, staff, board, and history can be found at www.shakerlakes.org.
Overall Responsibilities: The Program Specialist will be responsible for coordination and delivery of all aspects of the Jenny Goldman Environmental Educator in Residence program at Cleveland’s Michael R. White School; development of programming for additional schools in the Cleveland Municipal School District (CMSD); and providing education programs for other key audiences. The successful candidate will work with fellow environmental educators to present NCSL-designed curricula and hands-on outdoor experiences to school children attending field trips (pre-K-12th grade), outdoor adventure camps and classes for children, nature-themed programs including nature walks and informal lectures for families and adults, and other community programming as needed and scheduled.
- Prepare and present high-quality, place-based Nature Center environmental education programs to key audiences, including area school children, adults, families, preschool children, campers, and possible middle school after-school programs.
- Design environmental education curricula, manage on-site and off-site field experiences, coordinate and deliver academic programming for Cleveland’s Michael R. White School as part of the Jenny Goldman Environmental Educator in Residence Program, with a focus on K, 1st, and 5th grades.
- Collaborate with Early Childhood Environmental Educator on Pre-K and K curricula.
- Participate in CMSD’s Place-Based Learning Collaborative; oversee development and delivery of environmental education programming for additional CMSD schools, with a focus on pre-K-5th grade levels. This may include hiring and supervision of additional teaching staff, as needed.
- Stay current and work collaboratively with all NCSL staff to ensure excellence and maintain continuous improvement of NCSL curricula and programs.
- Work effectively with teachers and other clients, volunteers and the public in the presentation of NCSL programs and events.
- Coordinate with Development & Marketing staff on grant proposals and marketing opportunities as needed.
- Maintain good humor and apply professional, common-sense solutions to everyday challenges.
- Attend Board and Staff meetings, Signature Events, and Family Programs as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 3-5 years teaching experience with children (pre-K-12th grade)
- Minimum 1 year program coordination or program management experience
- Four-year college degree in Environmental Education, Environmental Studies or related science/natural resource field
- Ability to manage children in the outdoors; must possess visual and auditory abilities to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to outdoor activities
- Knowledge of developmentally appropriate activities and ability to design age-appropriate environmental education curricula and activities for a wide variety of audiences
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Effective public speaking skills; ability to communicate in an outdoor urban setting
- Love of the outdoors; knowledge of natural history/ecology, local flora and fauna
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively with a wide variety of audiences; ability to interact with the public, parents/guardians, teachers and staff with tact, courtesy, and diplomacy
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task, adapt to change, work independently, and to prioritize effectively
- Excellent computer skills; must be familiar with Microsoft Office applications
- Willingness to work as a team and with other staff and volunteers
- CPR/1st Aid Certification required (can be arranged)
- Wilderness First Responder, Lifeguard Training and/or Leave No Trace Training preferred
- Prior experience conducting teacher workshops a plus
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends, as needed
- Ability to hike 3-5 miles with a 10 pound backpack
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record are required
- Enthusiasm, poise, flexibility, dependability, good sense of humor, and positive attitude
- Commitment to NCSL mission, principles and values
Email: Nicole Born-Crow, Office Manager at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Environmental Educator – Program Specialist
Include: Cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and three references
DEADLINE: Friday, September 21, 2012, or until filled.