Posted on September 12, 2012
Director, Philanthropic Development
Orange County Public Schools
Orange County Public Schools - Director, Philanthropic Development
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Five (5) years successful experience in major or planned gift fundraising in education or business development, or large business senior management experience.
- Knowledge of the needs and interests of leadership and major gift donors in order to develop relationships between them and the district.
- Interest in education and a dedication to promoting the district’s fundraising priorities through developing relationships with the cabinet, school board, and Foundation for OCPS board of directors.
- Successful experience in making cold calls as well as developing cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated record of completing assignments.
- A highly energetic professional with a track record of building donor or business relationships and closing gifts or business deals.
- Must be willing to travel.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Associate Superintendent, Research, Accountability and Grants
- Responsible for soliciting from corporations, foundations and individuals.
- Manage relationships with donors and identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors.
- Work collaboratively with the school board, Research, Accountability and Grants Department, Foundation for OCPS board and staff to cultivate and solicit donors for district-wide priorities identified in the Philanthropic Strategic Plan.
- Recommend and assist with programming involving the superintendent, cabinet members, school board, Foundation for OCPS board members and campaign volunteer leaders.
- Demonstrated effective public relations skills, well-developed writing skills and strong verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrate sound judgment, and creative thinking.
- Identify important issues or problems in area of responsibility and assume accountability for results that facilitate achievement of district goals.
To raise critical dollars to support educational initiatives included in Orange County’s Philanthropic Strategic Plan. Work with, the superintendent and cabinet, the school board, the Foundation for Orange County Public Schools, and the Research, Accountability and Grants Department. The director will develop donor relationships and stewardship plans and increase community awareness of district needs and opportunities for involvement. The director will provide guidance and strategies for fundraising to the school board, volunteers and district staff.
MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT:
Machines, tools, equipment, electronic devices, vehicles, etc., used in this position. Telephone, Computer, (Personal Computer and Mainframe), Automobile, Copier, Camera
Describes physical conditions of this position.
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated as Light Work.
- 70 Sitting: Resting with the body supported by the buttocks or thighs.
- 10 Standing: Assuming an upright position on the feet, particularly for sustained periods of time.
- 10 Walking: Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances.
- 5 Bending: Lowering the body forward from the waist.
- 5 Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- 5 Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position through the use of the upper extremities and back muscles exerting up to 10 pounds of force.
- 80 Finger Dexterity: Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand or arm.
- 70 Grasping: Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
- 90 Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which detailed or important spoken instructions must be conveyed accurately, loudly or quickly.
- 90 Hearing Acuity: The ability to perceive speech and other environmental sounds at normal loudness levels.
- 90 Visual Acuity: The power to see at a level which allows reading of numbers and text, operation of equipment, inspection of machines, etc.
Note: Will total more than 100 percent as several activities may be performed at one time.
Conditions the worker will be subject to in this position.
Indoors and Outdoors: The worker is subject to both environmental conditions. Activities occur inside and outside.
- Manage philanthropic functions and services for the district consistent with district goals.
- Direct the planning, development and implementation of a creative and aggressive major giving campaign.
- Manage a portfolio of primary prospects.
- Focus on securing support for a set of district-wide priorities identified in the Philanthropic Strategic Plan.
- Participate in all aspects of the gift cycle:
- Initiate contacts with potential leadership and major gift donors;
- Develop appropriate cultivation strategies for them, including working with volunteers;
- Move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure;
- Make solicitations when appropriate;
- Maintain stewardship contacts with donors and report outcomes to donors yearly.
- Plan small group gatherings to engage and cultivate current and prospective investors.
- Write proposals, draft introductory and follow-up letters and background materials.
- Direct the planning, development and evaluation of metrics for established goals.
- Direct the planning, development and implementation of strategies to assist the district and other OCPS staff with philanthropy, including training, individual consultation and direct assistance.
- Develop and enhance the district’s philanthropic Internet presence.
- Direct the development, design and editing of publications which promote a general understanding of the district’s philanthropic programs.
- Follow the district’s policies and procedures as related to all HRMD guidelines.
- Follow the district’s policies and procedures as related to fixed assets.
- Responsible for keeping current on technology being used by OCPS.
- Responsible for maintaining timely and accurate information.
- Responsible for self-development and keeping current on research, trends and best practices relevant to the area of responsibility.
- Manifests a professional code of ethics and values.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Non-bargaining unit compensation plan, twelve months, 8.0 hours per day.
Performance of the job will be evaluated in accordance provisions of the Board’s policy on evaluation of personnel.
If you are interested in this position, please go to www.ocps.net, Employment, Job Seekers, Register with OCPS and create an online profile. Go to the Employment Opportunities tab and search for Management under the Hierarchy Level. Click on the title of the position and Apply. If you need assistance with your application, please email email@example.com.