Posted on September 11, 2012
Blue Star Families
Blue Star Families - Development Director
Blue Star Families, a fast growing, high profile non-profit organization whose mission is to support, connect and empower military families. The organization strengthens military family members where they live through leadership opportunities, programs that enhance resiliency, and partnerships connecting them to the larger society, in order to create healthy individuals, families, and a stronger America.
The Development Manager manages the fundraising activities of the organization, working closely with the Managing Director and Development Director and programming staff. The position can be based anywhere in the United States with a strong preference for San Diego, CA or Washington DC. The position is newly created and allows for flexible schedules and ability to work from home (30 – 40 hours per week). There are no benefits at this time. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Support Fundraising Activities:
Lead donor stewardship, donor database, prospect management and launch direct mail programs.
Act as liaison with vendors and internal resources for all development activities including online giving.
Prepare and produce lists for direct marketing efforts.
Maintain donor files and manage list for special projects, campaigns and events.
Support other functions as needed to support fundraising objectives.
Donor Research, Communications, and Stewardship:
Draft and edit letters of acknowledgement, updates, proposals, reports, and other documents.
Develop and update prospect research reports and any funding profiles.
Participate in the development of fundraising strategies and donor stewardship plans.
Maintain contact database and mailing lists: coordinate stewardship email blasts and mailings.
Draft and edit letters of inquiry, grant applications and/or proposals.
Assist with donor communications and outreach as needed.
Entrepreneurial temperament, and the ability to execute the development plan without continuous supervision by superiors
Excellent interpersonal skills, communications skills and organizational skills
Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Knowledge of social media and online organizing preferred.
Department Coordination and Administrative Support:
Prepare PowerPoint presentations and visual aids, as needed for fundraising initiatives.
Coordinate development department monthly & quarterly updates.
Serve as central resource for development activities
Supervise administrative interns and volunteers.
Institutional Coordination and Training:
- Coordinate and edit quarterly updates to highlight donors, volunteers and partners in marketing communications.
- Participate in regular fundraising strategy meetings with program staff and BSF executive staff.
- Serve as a point person within the organization for development needs.
Skills and Abilities:
- Dynamic professional with 3-5 years’ experience in development/fundraising arena.
- Experience working with donors in terms of prospecting, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding.
- Experience writing grants.
- Experience working with donor development/management software. Ability to evaluate software systems and make recommendation to adopt a suitable system for the organization.
- Experience and/or comfortable working in a “virtual environment.”
- Self-motivate with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to ensure database accuracy and integrity.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced and, at time, demanding environment.
- Flexibility with work schedule in support of events and deadlines.
- Focused, motivated to learn, flexible to change and the initiative to maintain a strong work ethic at all times.
- Even disposition with a poised confidence and the ability to deal effectively and politely with people from different backgrounds, experience levels, and in all types of situations.
- Proficient with MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
Please send a cover letter and resume to Attn: Noeleen Tillman at email@example.com