Posted on January 3, 2013
Food Stamp/Snap Outreach Worker
Urban Justice Center
Urban Justice Center - Food Stamp/Snap Outreach Worker
The Urban Justice Center (UJC) is a nonprofit legal organization dedicated to advocacy on behalf of New York City's most vulnerable residents. The mission of UJC's Homelessness Outreach & Prevention Project (HOPP) is to advocate for economic justice for no and low income New Yorkers. We conduct direct legal services, litigation, research and policy advocacy to preserve and expand access to public benefits programs and ensure government accountability. Direct services are based mainly in legal clinics at soup kitchens and food pantries in the Bronx, Manhattan and Brooklyn where we provide legal advice, referrals, advocacy, and representation for New Yorkers living in poverty.
- Developing outreach strategies to target households potentially eligible for food stamps/SNAP
- Conducting outreach throughout the five boroughs of NYC to encourage food stamp/SNAP participation
- Interviewing clients to prescreen for food stamp/SNAP eligibility;
- Assisting households with the food stamp/SNAP application process;
- Exercising discretion and judgment with regard to development and implementation of outreach strategies and client intake;
- Referring households to other programs for which they may be eligible;
- Developing and maintaining good communication with other agencies to facilitate referrals;
- Conducting follow up to determine the outcome of households' food stamps/SNAP applications;
- Tracking data in internal database and assisting with preparing reports;
- Attendance at various conferences regarding food stamp initiatives;
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- College degree required however professional experience in determining food stamp/SNAP eligibility can replace educational requirement
- Fluency in Spanish but other second language considered
- Knowledge of the food stamp program required
- Strong communication and public speaking skills
- Detail oriented and strong organization skills
- Ability to work independently to achieve required outcomes
- Familiarity with working with diverse populations
Please submit a cover letter detailing public interest experience/interest and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write "Food Stamp Outreach Worker" in the subject heading. Please do not contact us by telephone or fax. We will contact those applicants who we wish to interview and candidates will be required to bring references and a writing sample. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the positions will be filled accordingly, so applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. People of color, LGBT individuals, individuals who have personal experience with poverty, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Salary is $32,000/year and generous vacation and full medical and dental benefits are provided. This is a bargaining unit position represented for collective bargaining purposes by the National Organization of Legal Services Workers, UAW, Local 2230.