Posted on September 5, 2012
Manager, Human Resources
United Hospital Fund of New York
United Hospital Fund of New York - Manager, Human Resources
The United Hospital Fund (“UHF” or “Fund”) is a health services research and philanthropic organization focused on public health concerns in New York City. Founded in 1879 by hospital trustees and other concerned New Yorkers as a means to raise money for and support the voluntary, nonprofit hospitals as they sought to solve shared community health problems, the Fund today continues to play a central role in addressing critical health care concerns by advancing policies and supporting programs that promote high-quality, patient-centered health care services accessible for everyone.
UHF conducts research and policy analysis to improve the financing and delivery of care in hospitals, health centers, nursing homes, and other care settings. In addition, the Fund raises money and gives grants to individuals and organizations to investigate emerging issues and stimulate innovative programs. It also works with local politicians, healthcare providers and other stakeholders to develop opportunities for positive change.
The United Hospital Fund is seeking a highly skilled and intelligent professional to become its next Manager, Human Resources (“HRM”). Reporting directly to the Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance, the HRM will help provide overall strategic planning for the department, oversight and leadership of the organization’s human resources activities. There are approximately 55 staff members at UHF, most with significant longevity, a fact about which the senior leadership is proud. The HRM must be cognizant of this as he or she will be responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of human resource policies, programs and services, including: benefits programs; compliance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations; employee relations and review; employment practices and procedures; employee communications; recruitment; training; discipline; and termination.
The Manager, Human Resources will be a highly intelligent self-starter who has a shared commitment to UHF’s mission and its organizational development goals. The HRM should have substantial experience in managing human resources for nonprofit organizations or related entities. He or she will possess superior speaking and writing skills and be able to communicate successfully and persuasively within the United Hospital Fund organization and with outside contacts, consultants, and legal counsel, when necessary. The successful candidate will be highly organized, diplomatic, possess sound judgment as well as honed interpersonal skills, and maintain a sense of humor under stress.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develops, maintains and communicates effective and efficient policies and administrative procedures for personnel programs.
- Oversees and administers employee benefits and their associated payroll deductions, including, but not limited to:
- Health, dental, and life insurances; Section 125 plan enrollments and terminations; COBRA, disability and travel accident policies and related billing;
- Tax-deferred annuity enrollments and the annual IRS 5500 filing;
- Interacting with brokers, consultants, and insurers to handle problems/special employee claims;
- Working with the Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance to manage UHF’s defined benefit and defined contribution plans;
- Managing the transit benefit enrollments and invoicing on a monthly basis.
- Manages recruitment of support staff and assists with the recruitment of professional staff to ensure that proper procedures are followed; and develops and implements the affirmative action plan.
- Manages employee inquiries and initial grievance issues.
- Interfaces with all departments concerning staff and employment related issues, and with the Business Office for all employee-related transactions.
- Develops and maintains records and reports to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Upholds employee handbook policies and procedures and updates as required.
- Prepares materials and manages the performance and salary review process.
- Analyzes current benefit plans and explores new benefit program options.
- Organizes and coordinates staff training and development initiatives.
- Develops and maintains electronic and document-based personnel recordkeeping systems (HRIS) for active and inactive employees and retirees.
- Prepares and implements new employee orientations and conducts exit interviews.
- Develops and implements employee functions to measure employee morale, as required (e.g., staff breakfasts, annual employee holiday party and UHF campaign raffle).
- Oversees support coverage for the receptionist/front desk as well as other departmental support positions, as required.
- Acts as UHF’s administrator of the building’s visitor management system which includes employee set-up and user training.
- Acts as a Deputy Fire Warden in practice drills and in a real emergency, responsible for overseeing searchers and maintaining and adhering to emergency response protocols to monitor safety for all employees; at times this may require acting as Fire Safety Director in the absence of the Manager of Support Services.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Specialized degree in Human Resource Administration and/or professional certification in HR preferred.
- Minimum of seven to ten years supervisory experience at a management level for a complex organization.
- Excellent organizational skills and interpersonal skills, including ability to resolve disputes and observe confidentiality. Must have a high level of personal and professional integrity.
- Outstanding ability to interact effectively with managers, supervisors and staff.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to use PC and widely used software packages, e.g. spreadsheets (Excel), word processing (MS Word), and HRIS database.
- Must possess strong multi-tasking capabilities and be willing to take a hands-on approach to problem solving.
The United Hospital Fund offers a competitive salary combined with generous benefits, including health, dental, life, and disability insurance; a tax-deferred annuity savings plan with generous employer match and discretionary contribution, and a commuting subsidy. For more information on the United Hospital Fund of New York, please visit www.uhfnyc.org.
The United Hospital Fund of New York has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Managing Partner
Anne J. McCarthy, Senior Director
Harris Rand Lusk
261 Madison Avenue, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10016