Posted on September 2, 2012
Individual Giving Manager
National Academy Museum and School
National Academy Museum and School - Individual Giving Manager
Founded in 1825, the National Academy (www.nationalacademy.org) is the only institution of its kind that integrates a museum, art school, and association of artists and architects dedicated to creating and preserving a living history of American art and architecture. Modeled after the Royal Academy in London, the National Academy’s collection of over 7,000 works spans the nineteenth, twentieth, and twenty-first centuries. The National Academy is located on prestigious Museum Mile in the Carnegie Hill district.
The National Academy’s Individual Giving Manager is responsible for the Academy’s Friends membership program (≤ $2,499) and the Annual Fund; develops manages each program to raise annual operating support from individual donors. Provides support for the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of Academy Patrons membership ($2,500 - $25,000+), planned giving, and major gifts/special gifts. The Individual Giving Manager will work closely with the Academy’s Deputy Director and Director of Development. This position reports directly to the Deputy Director of Development.
- Conceives and executes annual strategy of Friends membership program, Annual Fund, benefit fulfillment, and events which seek to maximize general operating support for the Academy’s core operations.
- Produces Friends members and Annual Fund appeals and acknowledgement letters.
- Maintains and cultivates relationships with Friends prospects through telephone, email, letter, and direct visitation.
- Develops and implements strategies to increase Friends membership and annual giving, and seeks prospective donors from a variety of constituencies.
- Manages monthly and annual membership and annual fund revenue goals and maintains revenue projections.
- Works with Deputy Director of Development to conceive and execute annual individual giving solicitation calendar of mail, email, phone, and personal visits, and revise on an ongoing basis.
- Assists in identifying and cultivating prospects for Academy Patrons, planned gifts, major donors, and prospects for special initiatives.
- Plans, coordinates, and manages cultivation and recognition events in partnership with Deputy Director of Development.
- Supports the activities of the Visitor Services staff to actively promote and solicit membership from museum visitors.
- Plans development cultivation events based on programs and exhibitions happening in the museum, including private receptions, curator-led tours, etc.
- Assists Deputy Director of Development with logistics for the annual spring gala.
- Assists with individual prospect research.
- Participates in overall Development Department strategy planning.
- Assists Deputy Director of Development with the management of part-time prospect researcher and departmental interns.
Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in Art Administration or Nonprofit Management is a plus.
2-3 years of experience in development and fundraising (membership, individual giving, annual fund) preferably in a cultural institution. Knowledge of the New York philanthropic community is preferred.
Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills with a superior attention to detail and ability to multitask in a fast pace environment.
Ability to record and analyze data in order to maximize productivity and income.
Strong written and oral communication skills.
Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and superior fundraising database management skills is a must.
Ability to work independently and as part of a strategic team.
Positive and enthusiastic attitude, strong work ethic, high degree of professionalism, and evolved interpersonal skills.
Strong interest in personal professional development.
Ability to work nights and weekends as needed.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications
How to Apply: Please email cover letter and resume (both in MSWord document or PDF) to Michael McKay, Director of Finance and Administration, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without a cover letter and writing sample will not be accepted. No phone calls, please. Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.