Posted on August 31, 2012
Mahoning Valley College Access Program
Mahoning Valley College Access Program - Executive Director
Mahoning Valley College Access Program (MVCAP) is seeking a full time Executive Director. MVCAP is a college access program providing services to students in a three county area of northeast Ohio (Columbiana, Mahoning and Trumbull Counties), with special emphasis on the Warren and Youngstown City Schools. The Board of Directors of MVCAP value post secondary education and believe that a better educated population translates to a stronger economy while enhancing quality of life.
The Executive Director is the Chief Executive Officer and is charged with ensuring that MVCAP operates under the policies and guidelines set by the Board of Directors. In fulfilling this responsibility, the Executive Director is responsible for hiring and managing staff, consultants and volunteers and ensuring that the organization’s structure maximizes effectiveness and efficiency. The new Executive Director will be housed at offices located in downtown Warren, Ohio.
The Executive Director fulfills the following responsibilities:
- Oversees the planning, design and implementation of a focused and strategic set of programmatic efforts to assist underserved populations of students and their parents in our region regarding post secondary education and the steps necessary to achieve their educational goals. Includes management of staff advisors who work with students and parents, and as needed, personally advising these students and parents.
- Design and implement overall fundraising plan for the organization in partnership and with lead assistance and support from the Board. Develop new opportunities for strategic partnerships, grants, general donations, sponsorships and other revenue generating activities.
Takes responsibility for the positive acceptance of MVCAP, its mission and its functions by all entities involved in the flow of business, including but not limited to school districts, institutions of higher education, professional organizations and financial institutions associated with college access and any others that may exist or emerge.
Represents MVCAP as required at state and local conferences/meetings that focus on college access and readiness for all students and serves as the chief representative and agent of MVCAP in negotiations with vendors, regulatory entities and various trade and industry organizations.
- Ensures compliance with applicable laws, rules, regulations and policies as promulgated by applicable government agencies and the Board of Directors, consulting with legal counsel when necessary.
- Manages the budget process for MVCAP ensuring that expenditures are within the guidelines approved by the Board of Directors. Takes responsibility for managing MVCAP’s resources, including the preparation and presentation of the annual budget to the Board.
- Manages human resources, including development of an effective and efficient organizational structure. The organizational structure should include a legal and fair performance evaluation process, employee selection process, personnel policy manual, and compensation program. Additionally, provides ongoing staff development and training programs, and an effective internal communications plan.
- Reviews participant data, periodic follow-up reports, outreach activity summaries and other information necessary to ensure that services are provided effectively. Analyzes data and evaluates progress toward goals of the project.
- Oversees the development of a participant database and other recordkeeping activities designed to evaluate service delivery.
- Solicits and evaluates applications for MVCAP last dollar scholarships.
- Establishes and administers marketing plans and programs including social and printed media, website and any new resources available to assist MVCAP fulfill its mission.
- Scans the political, regulatory and industry environment and develops strategic plans and responses as recommendations to the Board.
- Approves all strategic partnerships in an effort to leverage MVCAP resources to better serve the students and families of the Mahoning Valley.
- Must be able and willing to travel overnight (mostly within Ohio) on occasion.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the MVCAP Board of Directors.
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in business, education, counseling or related area and proven leadership in a fundraising, business, education, financial aid or a college access environment. The successful candidate will possess strong networking skills with diverse audiences from a variety of sectors including education (both k-12 and beyond), business, civic, philanthropic, service and other community organizations that augment the mission of MVCAP. He/she will demonstrate a passion for higher education and a verifiable record of helping others achieve the same as well as a demonstrated understanding of the challenges faced by first-generation college bound students and their families. A master’s degree is preferred but not required.
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits are negotiable.
The Mahoning Valley College Access Program is dedicated to creating and supporting a diverse workplace. The Mahoning Valley College Access Program is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates must submit materials no later than Wednesday, September 5, 2012. Qualified individuals may apply confidentially by submitting resume and cover letter as MS Word attachments to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.