Posted on August 30, 2012
Online Community Manager
Charles and Lynn Schusterman Philanthropic Network
Charles and Lynn Schusterman Philanthropic Network - Online Community Manager
The Online Community Manager is a member of the team of directors, program officers, administrators, financial and other professionals who share the responsibility for planning and implementing the full range of activities of the Charles and Lynn Schusterman Philanthropic Network (CLSPN), a consortium of the following related entities dedicated to igniting the passion and unleashing the power in young people to create change for themselves, in the Jewish community and across the broader world: (a) Charles and Lynn Schusterman Family Foundation, (CLSFF); (b) Schusterman Foundation – Israel (SFI); (c) ROI Community; and (d) REALITY.
CLSPN believes it has a responsibility to the young Jewish adults to whom it reaches, one that demands that it actively listens to their Jewish wants and needs, assists them in meeting their Jewish desires, facilitates the building of their own Jewish communities and supports their development as caring individuals (regardless of whether that development is personal or professional).
The Online Community Manager will lead CLSPN’s efforts to connect with young adults that are currently within the digital reach of the CLSPN as a result of: (i) direct participation in programs and experiences created by the CLSPN; (ii) indirect relationships with CLSPN by means of grantees or other projects supported by CLSPN; and/or (iii) as the result of the marketing and digital outreach efforts of CLSPN. The purpose of the efforts of the Online Community Manager is to increase the scale and degree to which CLSPN can help these individuals understand their power to create change in the world and its connection to Jewish values, identity and community; develop new ideas, skills and contacts; identify opportunities to develop projects, access professional development resources and create Jewish experiences.
To do this, the Online Community Manager will work with the Director of Network Initiatives and Director of Communications to: establish a digital social listening platform; monitor and engage in digital conversations; develop and implement an online program and content strategy; create and publish engaging content; support an integrated marketing plan; track and measure community engagement and content performance; and lead the CLSPN’s efforts to create digital culture change within the global Jewish community.
The Online Community Manager must be able to satisfactorily perform each of the following essential functions:
- Establish and operate a digital social listening platform and practice so as to engage young adults in forums where CLSPN’s target audiences are already engaged online.
- Monitor, understand and influence the nature of online conversations already underway both about CLSPN itself as well as the issues and values the organization cares about.
- Develop and implement digital programming and online content creation initiatives for the CLSPN community. Programming and content creation initiatives will include (but are not limited to): story sharing; knowledge sharing through webinars, webchats, articles, white papers, blog posts, video, surveys, “How-to” toolkits for CLSPN projects; promoting social good projects, professional development opportunities, job posting and career connections, holiday matching; competitions. Lead communities to contribute their own high-quality submissions across the entire suite of tools available.
- Work closely with CLSPN Network Initiatives and Communications teams to establish an integrated content strategy and publication timeline that will attract, grow and engage the CLSPN online community and help to create connections across CLSPN networks. The strategy will provide digital support to the Communications teams’ existing editorial calendar and messaging, and will promote values and ideas that mimic those shared in offline programming.
- Work with the Networks Initiatives and Communications Teams to ensure the community platform (forums, blogs, moderation tools) are kept up to date and functional, as well as influence the roadmap by collating user feedback.
- Manage social media campaigns and day-to-day activities. Duties include writing editorial, community-outreach efforts, promotions, etc. In 2013, campaigns will include engagement with 25th Anniversary content.
- Manage presence in social networking sites including Facebook, Twitter and other similar community sites, posting on relevant blogs, and seeding content into social applications as needed.
- Moderate all User Generated Content according to the Moderation policy, liaising with the Chief Operating Officer where required.
- Routinely measure the activity, reach and engagement of the online community across various social platforms and adjust content and strategy to improve performance.
- Increase the digital orientation of the CLSPN staff by delivering internal training on best practices in online engagement as well as through targeted internal communications about performance and achievements.
- Work with the Communications Director to ensure the online community strategy is linked to e-mail marketing and the contact relationship management (CRM) database.
- Regularly share insights gained from community monitoring into the Networks Initiatives and Communications teams, to help them evolve their strategies in a timely fashion.
- Monitor trends in online community tools, trends and applications.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
The Online Community Manager must have the following specific qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of relevant experience with demonstrated success in social marketing, online community building, online content development, digital strategy, social media training and social media measurement.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to infuse creativity, innovation and insight into project management.
- Proficiency with new media tools. Knowledge of HTML, graphic design, digital photography and multimedia productions a plus.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of online community platforms and their respective participants (Forums, Blogs, Photo Uploads, Profiling etc.) and how they can be deployed in different scenarios.
- Skilled prioritization and multi-tasking, working efficiently in a fast-paced environment, and evaluating a wide variety of considerations.
- High attention to detail and willingness to be hands-on as necessary.
- Excellent computer skills and willingness to learn and keep up with technology related to interactive marketing.
- Ability to work collaboratively and constructively across departments and with other departments who will be utilizing interactive marketing tools in specific projects and with partners.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and creative approach to strategy development.
- A commitment to the mission and values of CLSPN.
- An ability to thrive in an environment characterized by constant change.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience in or with foundation culture.
For a full description of CLSPN, the position, and requirements please visit http://www.schusterman.org/wp-content/uploads/Online-Community-Manager.pdf