Posted on August 28, 2012
Director of School Support Services
After-School Corporation - Director of School Support Services
TASC is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing all students with expanded learning opportunities that support, educate and inspire them. In its second decade, TASC developed and is implementing ExpandED Schools, a re-invention of the traditional school day, in New York City, Baltimore and New Orleans. By giving kids in public elementary and middle schools more time and a wider range of opportunities to learn, we offer a promising way for educators and communities to reinvent schools that struggle to fully deliver on the promise of public education. In New York City we support comprehensive, daily after-school programs and high school apprenticeship programs that can be scaled to reach large numbers of students.
TASC seeks a strategic and dynamic manager to be its first Director of School Support Services to support its ExpandED Schools in New York, New Orleans and Baltimore. Reporting to the Senior Vice President of ExpandED Schools, the Director of School Support Services will provide technical assistance on matters of school administration that do not directly relate to instruction or student behavior.
ExpandED Schools restore the promise of public education by redesigning struggling urban schools to give students the time and opportunity they need to get and stay on track –academically and socially– to graduate from high school, college and career-ready. ExpandED Schools engage communities in re-engineering resources to ensure they meet the needs of students, families and the modern economy.
ExpandED Schools are tailored to meet their students’ needs, but share four core elements. Under the principal’s leadership, the whole school benefits from:
- More Time for a Balanced Curriculum
- School-Community Partnership
- Engaging and Personalized Instruction
- Sustainable Cost Model
To sustain and scale ExpandED Schools, TASC helps school leaders and partners use their existing budgets, time, and human capital) more efficiently. Implicit in the framework is the belief that the resources needed to add more time to school schedules can, in part, be found in existing public funding streams through creative scheduling, leveraging both education and youth-development funds and aligning talent.
The Director of School Support Services will assume a number of operational responsibilities from overseeing the development and implementation of integrated school budgets to coaching school leaders on human resource deployment and scheduling. The Director of School Support Services serves as consultant and coach to ExpandED Schools and intermediary partners regarding matters of budgeting, finance, scheduling, transportation and facilities. This includes ad hoc requests for information, providing advice, and connecting ExpandED leaders for the purposes of knowledge sharing and collaborative problem-solving.
- Work with school principals and TASC staff to construct, monitor, and modify school budgets
- Lead the strategy for supporting capacity building in all areas of financial management, budgeting, scheduling, facilities and transportation
- Counsel, coach, and mentor ExpandED school team members and TASC staff; contribute to the professional development and sustainability of the ExpandED schools.
- Assess schools’ ability to operate within the ExpandED School cost model and refine as necessary
- Create a framework and tools to gain insights and develop strategies to manage financial health and sustainability
- Assist TASC Operations and Policy staff in investigating the feasibility of using diverse revenue sources that will support our school operations including, but not limited, to education, youth development resources, and appropriate health and human service revenues
- Develop and implement professional development activities to improve financial literacy of principals, intermediaries and others
- Support principals and partners:
- monitor the financial health and sustainability of ExpandED Schools,
- identify areas for improvement/efficiency,
- ensure transparency to key stakeholders
- Lead analysis that provides evidence illustrating the cost effectiveness of the ExpandED model and supports sharing our story of financial health and sustainability to national audiences
- Engage and manage consultants, as needed
- Other responsibilities
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree (e.g., MBA, MPA, Ed.M.) preferred
- At least 5 years of experience as a school operations and financial leader in an urban school district or a charter management organization
- Experience blending/braiding diverse revenue streams to support student success
- Understanding of and comfort dealing with complex contracts, policies and relationships, including labor unions.
- Strong analytic and organization skills; ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Desire to work collaboratively and participate as a member of a diverse team
- Ability to clearly articulate and communicate a vision, develop a project plan, and execute against it
- A commitment to coaching and client service
- A results-focused approach towards problem solving
- Committed to the belief that all students and adults can learn
- Willingness to travel (10-20%)
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to:
TASC, 1440 Broadway, 16th Fl, New York, NY 10018, RE: Director of School Support Services
Or e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: Director of School Support Services
No faxes or phone calls, please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
TASC is an Equal Opportunity Employer