Posted on August 26, 2012
Associate Director, Editorial Services
Columbia University, Office of Alumni and Development
Columbia University, Office of Alumni and Development - Associate Director, Editorial Services
The associate director, editorial services is responsible for strategic planning and implementation of key alumni and development communications projects – both print and electronic. This position reports to the director for development communications. The associate director will work closely with the deputy vice president for communications and marketing -- and the chief creative officer – in a client- relationship based environment.
- Envision and execute a variety of communications projects including e-newsletters, talking points, speeches, scripts, reports, advertising copy, brochures, and content for various University web sites, Columbia Magazine, and The Record.
- Create presentations for University leaders, alumni volunteers, and donors.
- Provide overall editorial guidance for the Office of Alumni and Development and manage the style guide.
- Supervise writers –on staff and/or freelance –and collaborate with fellow creative team members on projects to achieve the best product possible.
- Ensure the flow and editorial quality including as necessary projects undertaken by other members of the Alumni and Development communications team.
- Handle alumni and development assignments from start-to-finish.
- Bachelor’s degree required and advanced degree desirable.
- Minimum 4 -6 years related experience.
- Outstanding writing and copy-editing skills are mandatory.
- Should be a versatile and creative communicator who can synthesize complex material and convey it to a general audience.
- Ability to write graceful and accurate prose under pressure.
- The successful applicant must be able to write and publish across a variety of platforms and be comfortable with both new and traditional media.
- Needs to write clearly, accurately, and effectively – whether the assignment is a video script, an e-blast, or a tweet.
- The candidate must think “visually” with the final product in mind.
- Should be prepared to lead as well as participate in teams.
- Needs to handle demanding schedules and deadlines.
- Must complete projects with minimal supervision.
- Familiarity with a University setting is a plus.
- Agency experience preferred.
- Some familiarity with HTML, PPT, and content management systems is necessary.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are essential.
Columbia University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. MINORITIES ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
To apply for this position, please visit: