Posted on October 16, 2012
Brave New Foundation
Brave New Foundation - Brave New Foundation
Brave New Foundation, a non-profit that creates media that makes an impact around Progressive issues is looking for a new Development Director. Candidate must be a skilled grant writer with great phone skills, and political awareness who can put together a fundraising plan. We need someone who has worked in the Foundation world, or has previous DD experience. Job is located in Culver City and reports directly to the Executive Director. This is a full time office based position with a little bit of travel – maybe 2-3 trips a year. Benefits include 3 weeks of vacation and health/dental/vision plan plus employer matching retirement plan. Most important quality is a passion for progressive issues – in the next 2 years our main issues will be Criminal Justice, Military Industrial Complex, Latino Issues, and Money Out of Politics.
Research & Strategic Planning
- Identify new foundation prospects and research their funding guidelines, grant making history, and grantee lists.
- Regularly review foundation RFPs, case statements, and other reports to stay abreast of shifting priorities and philanthropic trends.
- Prioritize foundation prospects based on “good match” grant opportunities that complement BNF needs and campaign goals.
- Build relationships with current and prospective foundation funders via regular communication; including monthly email/snail mail updates, significant campaign launches or press coverage, invitations to BNF events, and major publications (BNF campaign reports and annual report).
- Coordinate phone calls, meetings, and site visits with foundation staff.
- Occasionally attend foundation conferences, trainings, workshops and networking events.
- Help to develop monthly/quarterly foundation updates, Annual Report, and other communications between BNF and foundation donors.
Grant Development & Reporting
- Prepare grant solicitations to new and existing funding sources; matching program priorities with agency funding requirements.
- Write all grant proposals, reports, concept notes, and other ancillary materials to meet application or reporting requirements.
- Coordinate and maintain foundation grant files, application and reporting deadline calendars, online grant folders and hardcopy files.
Internal Operations & Management
The candidate must be able to demonstrate they can:
- Meet regularly with campaign managers to get updates on new/pending projects, and to develop outcome evaluation plans as part of our grant reporting requirements.
- Occasionally proofread/QC campaign emails, videos, and other marketing materials.
- Assist with other fundraising projects/BNF events as requested.
direct large-scale projects while managing the work of others;
work and communicate well with others;
solve problems quickly and creatively;
engage and motivate key stakeholders;
multitask with ease and precision;
work independently and efficiently to meet tight deadlines;
develop easy-to-use methods for tracking key financial data; and
present user-friendly financial information to both internal and external stakeholders.
Please send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com. Thanks!