Posted on August 23, 2012
Mission Graduates - Develpment Director
Mission Graduates is a nonprofit organization that increases the number of K-12 students in San Francisco's Mission District who are prepared for and complete a college education.
In pursuit of its mission, Mission Graduates works across all agents of socialization (family, schools, peers, civic organizations, and media) to enhance college going culture, build college capital, and help address challenging life circumstances that can prevent a young person from pursuing a college education.
Mission Graduates envisions a community in which college is the expectation, rather than the exception for Mission families. We reach over 1,200 children, youth, and parents each year through in-school, after-school, and summer programming with an annual funding of 1.5 million.
1.0 FTE $65,000 - $70,000 annually DOE
Exempt (Some weekend and evening hours may be required due to fundraising activities and special events.)
Full Health, Dental & Vision Benefits, Vacation and Sick Time
Anticipated Start Date --September 1st, 2012
The Director of Development is responsible for creating, implementing, and managing the organization's fund development efforts. These efforts include foundation grants, individual donor cultivation, corporate giving, passive fundraising efforts, and fund-raising events. Position is responsible for setting and achieving, in collaboration with the Executive Director, the annual agency revenue goals. The Development Director provides consistent support to the Executive Director and Board of Directors in the area of fund development. As a member of the agency's Leadership Team, this position is also responsible for helping to shape agency strategy and implementing the agency's operating plan.
Reports To: Executive Director
Key Responsibilities & Primary Duties
Donor Relations and Cultivation:
- Oversee the cultivation, growth and management of individual donors
- Develop and implement an organizational plan to identify, recruit, cultivate, and maintain portfolio of individual donors. Expand current base of existing donors.
- Create and consider strategies to increase donations from individual donors--both current donors and prospective major donors.
- Work closely with Board to acquire new major donors and cultivate existing ones.
- Develop and implement annual mail appeal with donor segmentation.
- Develop on-going donor stewardship and acknowledgement systems with current and potential donors.
- Produce annual donor recognition event.
Foundations and Grants:
- Lead foundation and grant fundraising campaign
- Identify potential private foundations, public foundations, and governmental funding sources to support and expand the agency programs.
- In partnership with Executive Director, develop and strengthen Mission Graduates' relationships with foundations.
- Manage existing portfolio of over 20 foundation grants.
- Develop and submit grant applications and contracts with support of Program Directors and Executive Director.
- Develop Foundation stewardship process, to engage and strengthen relationships with funders.
- Submit required reports and grants progress to funders.
- Develop and implement fundraising events
- Implement the Mission Graduates' signature event Food for Thought, with support from agency staff and board of directors.
- Ensure that event fundraising goals are met.
- Solicit businesses and Mission restaurants for event sponsorship.
- Recruit and train hosts for Food for Thought restaurants for night of event
- Produce Food for Thought raffle and secure raffle prizes
- Develop Food for Thought event committee
- Work with Board members and major donors to implement house party campaign
- Develop donor development systems, process and workflow
- Manage Salesforce donor database
- Develop and ensure simple donor cultivation "workflow", including process/protocol related to each stage of the cultivation process, from identification to first communication to solicitation to acknowledgement
Supervise Development Staff:
- Supervise Development Associate/Volunteer Coordinator, responsible for following:
- Ensuring agency's donor management and acknowledgement
- Coordinate bi-monthly e-newsletter mailings
- Coordinate social media efforts.
- Cultivation of agency volunteers into donors
Staff Leadership Team:
- Active member of leadership team that is responsible for helping to shape agency strategy and implementing the agency's operating plan.
- Work towards goal of creating stronger management unit via intra-agency collaboration and support
- Fulfill organizational duties as they arise including participating in staff meetings, special committees, event planning and implementation
- Other duties as assigned
- 4 years proven experience with grant writing and individual donor cultivation
- Bilingual Spanish/English (preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree in related field or four years of professional experience in business, fundraising, or non-profit management.
- Strong oral and written communication
- Fingerprint and TB test clearance mandatory prior to hire
- Experience working in communities of color with low-income populations is preferred
- Mission District residents and bilingual Spanish-English speakers, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Mission District residents and bilingual Spanish-English speakers,
and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send your resume and a cover letter articulating your interest and qualifications to: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: Development Director
(No phone calls please; only applicants submitting both a resume and cover letter will be considered)