Posted on August 17, 2012
Vera Institute of Justice
ACCOUNTING ASSOCIATE, Vera Institute of Justice
The Vera Institute of Justice is a private, nonprofit organization that combines expertise in research, demonstration projects, and technical assistance to help leaders in government and civil society improve the systems people rely on for justice and safety. The Guardianship Project, one of Vera’s demonstration projects, is an innovative program established to provide model guardianship services to people who have been adjudicated as incapacitated by the courts and who lack family or friends able or willing to care for them. The Project serves a culturally diverse and largely indigent population, primarily in Kings and New York County. We employ a range of professionals including lawyers, social workers, and property and financial managers who work as a team to provide efficient and effective service and advocacy for our clients. Guardianship practice covers a wide range of issues, including but not limited to foreclosures, public benefits, social security, landlord/tenant law, real estate management and transactions, estate planning, medical decision-making, and elder abuse.
Responsibilities Vera seeks a smart, flexible, and enthusiastic Accounting Associate to join The Guardianship Project’s finance team. The Accounting Associate will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Preparing a wide range of client financial reports and accountings for submission to the court;
- Processing accounts payable, including preparation of disbursements journals and related reports;
- Serving as petty cash agent for client funds;
- Budgeting and forecasting clients’ financial needs;
- Monitoring client financial eligibility for public benefits and assisting with applications;
- Tracking and reporting on client commissions and fees;
- Preparing ad hoc reports on various client and program financial matters;
- Negotiating with vendors, entitlements agencies, and creditors on clients’ behalf;
- Working with tax firms as needed to secure tax preparation assistance for clients;
- Collaborating closely with Project team members, and financial and other institutions; and
- Other duties as required to effectuate high quality service delivery to clients.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field required, with up to two years of relevant experience strongly preferred;
- Proficiency in advanced Excel functions, such as Pivot Tables and Lookup, and experience designing or implementing internal controls;
- Excellent organizational skills and strong multi-tasking ability;
- Solid interpersonal and team work skills, including willingness to learn and cover other finance team duties as needed;
- Ability to work well under pressure; and
- Strong interest in social justice for underserved populations required;
- Final candidates will be subject to criminal and financial background check.
Salary: Salary is in the mid- to upper-thirties, depending upon experience. This position is entry-level. Applicants with advanced degrees or extensive experience will not be considered.
The Vera Institute of Justice values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about Vera and The Guardianship Project, visit:
Please use only one method of submission (online, mail or fax).
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Submit cover letter and resume. Online submission is preferred. http://vera.theresumator.com/apply/HBctho/Accounting-Associate.html?source=FDNT. However, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to:
ATTN: Human Resources / TGP Accounting Associate recruitment
Vera Institute of Justice
233 Broadway, 12th Flr.
New York, NY 10279
Fax: (212) 941-9407