Posted on August 17, 2012
Development Manager, Chicago, Education Pioneers
Education Pioneers seeks a highly-organized, collaborative, and talented individual to develop and execute the organization’s local fundraising strategy. Local fundraising activities are in their infancy for Education Pioneers’ Chicago site, so this position offers the exciting opportunity to BUILD a local fundraising base, rather than simply grow or maintain an existing base. Consequently, the ability both to think strategically and implement effectively is a must. The Development Manager role encourages an individual to take initiative and be creative. The Development Manager will report directly to the Chicago Executive Director and will contribute to the local site team’s efforts to close the achievement gap in Chicago by supplying education organizations with the great talent necessary to ensure every child receives an excellent education.
Responsibilities: Primary responsibilities include the following:
- Identify prospects, conduct research, analyze capacity, and assist in developing strategy for cultivating foundation, corporation, and individual donors;
- Serve as primary author for grant proposals, LOIs, reports and formal written communication with local donors;
- Lead event planning efforts for donor cultivation and special events, including coordinating activities with staff/volunteers; managing related mailing and follow up; keeping events on schedule; reporting on budget for events; and preparing post-event analysis;
- Manage the organization and maintenance of all prospect and donor information; maintain an up-to-date, accurate database of records;
- Assist with preparation and follow-up for local advisory board meetings;
- Generate new ideas for events, outreach, and communication with current and potential donors;
- Drive development-related systems and processes.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred;
- At least 3-5 years of professional work experience, in a nonprofit development/fundraising, or sales capacity with grant writing experience;
- In depth knowledge of the Chicago nonprofit and fundraising landscape;
- Understanding of basic accounting principles;
- Knowledge of Chicago’s Corporate landscape (Preferable);
- Superior oral and written communication skills;
- Exceptional planning, organization, and prioritization skills;
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy, and timeliness;
- Ability to work in and across several communication platforms (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter) and internal systems; experience with Salesforce, Foundation Directory Online, and/ or Wealth Engine preferred.
- Energetic, hard-working, and enthusiastic team player;
- Ability to work in an entrepreneurial environment with a small team;
- Strategic thinker with a passion for education reform;
- Innovative, resourceful problem solver;
- A strong commitment to Education Pioneers’ mission and core values of courage, optimism, collaboration, and action.
Equal Opportunity Employment & Commitment to Diversity.
Education Pioneers believes it is critical for leaders in urban education to reflect the urban communities they serve. We actively recruit people of color to join our team. We support equal opportunity for all people and we strongly encourage people of color to apply for positions in our organization.
Please visit the Careers page on our website at: