Posted on August 16, 2012
Managing Director of Development and Marketing
East Bay Community Foundation
East Bay Community Foundation - Managing Director of Development and Marketing
The East Bay Community Foundation (EBCF) is a leading resource for mobilizing financial resources and community leadership to transform the lives of people in the East Bay. We do it through research on the pressing needs and issues facing East Bay communities, and through joining our own financial and leadership resources with those of the private, public, and nonprofit sectors.
Through the funds of its donors and through its own endowment, EBCF makes grants to worthy causes in accordance with donor recommendations and in accordance with our own research identifying needs in two focus areas: economic development and support for children’s success.
EBCF also strives to be a leader in promoting equity and inclusion in its own operations and throughout the region it serves, placing a high value on the cultural, racial, ethnic and sexual diversity of the East Bay to develop innovative approaches for building sustainable communities. EBCF also holds itself accountable to equity and inclusion by creating and retaining a Board and staff that reflect the diversity of the East Bay so that it can provide donors and communities with the broadest possible perspective.
Today, EBCF has charitable assets under its management in excess of $360 million, a board of 13, and a talented staff of 23 who reflect the diversity of the region and serve as ambassadors of the Foundation’s values. In the 2010-2011 fiscal year, grantmaking by EBCF and its donors exceeded $70 million. This strong base and growth trajectory present the right candidate with an exciting opportunity to chart a bold new course in promoting community philanthropy.
The Managing Director of Development and Marketing (MDDM) will be responsible for the continual development of the Foundation’s donor base and endowment. He/She will develop strategies that support asset development and strategic marketing. The MDDM will lead a team of two skilled professionals in this effort. In addition to the direct reports, this position will be responsible for working with internal client relationship managers (8) on an integrated development strategy. The Foundation currently has an annual revenue target between $30M- $35M that is made up of unrestricted and restricted revenues. The Foundation has about 500 total donor funds. In general, the MDDM will primarily focus on prospecting and developing a new base of supporters to the Foundation and have an individual revenue goal and, in addition, support staff members in their prospecting and stewardship responsibilities. The position reports to the Chief Operating Officer and is a member of the EBCF leadership team.
Specifically, the Managing Director of Development and Marketing will:
Resource Development Administration:
- Develop and carry out a program to raise unrestricted support for annual campaign;
- Develop and implement a strategy to realize increased contributions from existing donors;
- Assess and develop EBCF’s capacity to grow endowments through strategic and tactical planning, staff development and participation, and through identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding current and prospective major donors;
- Provide high-level advice and support to the President and board members regarding major gift work;
- Develop and manage relationships with major individual, family, foundation and corporate donor prospects;
- Provide leadership to EBCF staff and board members in improving their knowledge and skills in the areas of fund development, with emphasis on the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major prospects;
- Participate in community promotion, advocacy and education efforts which will advance EBCF’s image and visibility and increase awareness of its fundraising and service opportunities.
- Assess the market opportunity for EBCF to engage donors’ support (both financial and human resources), and create and implement an effective strategy for donor engagement based on the market opportunity;
- Oversee donor segmentation matching their interests with EBCF programs and services;
- Guide communications staff to ensure that EBCF strategy and goals are articulated to constituents - donors, fund holders, community leaders and community based organizations in a clear, approachable fashion.
Profile of the Successful Candidate:
This position offers the right candidate the opportunity to put his or her well-honed business skills to work on behalf of the East Bay. The EBCF is seeking a skilled, creative and innovative professional who will successfully bring together the internal and external development strategies, functions and programs of the organization.
The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in the program work of EBCF. The candidate will have the ability to balance a range of responsibilities and work proactively to address the organization’s needs with an energetic, entrepreneurial nature.
Specifically, EBCF seeks a professional who has the following attributes:
- Demonstrated experience building strong relationships with donors;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead and manage in a fundraising capacity;
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of individuals;
- Proven experience in developing and implementing a successful major capital/fundraising campaign involving face-to-face solicitation of prospective donors;
- Experience in formulating annual and long-range fundraising plans;
- Six or more years of professional fundraising experience in a management role;
- The ability to think strategically and translate abstract ideas and strategy into actions and operations;
- Experience in using technology to strategic ends, as well as for day-to-day productivity;
- A relevant graduate degree, or comparable experience;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- A highly collaborative nature, with demonstrated leadership and consensus-building skills;
- A personal commitment to the power and potential of philanthropy.
Additionally, the successful candidate will likely have:
Application Deadline: September 5, 2012. Your writing sample should answer the question about how your skills set and experience can contribute to this critical functional area within the Foundation, and how you can personally help the Foundation’s growth. Send letter of interest, resume and writing sample to:
- Knowledge of Community foundations;
- Senior management experience in marketing and public relations experience;
- The ability to acclimate to new and different communities easily.
Attn: Human Resources
East Bay Community Foundation
200 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza
Oakland, CA 94612
or via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org