Posted on August 13, 2012
Senior Executive Assistant
Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation
Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation - Senior Executive Assistant
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer/Executive Director
Status: Exempt/Full Time
The Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation is a private foundation that provides funding for scientific research.
Provides all of the administrative needs of the Executive Director/CEO in her role on behalf of the Foundation. Serves as liaison between the Executive Director/CEO and staff.
The Senior Executive Assistant will be responsible for the coordination of activities (operations and planning) and ensuring timely flow of information to and from the executive office. S/he handles details of a highly confidential and critical nature and must function efficiently and effectively in a fast-paced professional environment. S/he will have a proven ability to independently manage multiple tasks and projects with competing priorities and deadlines, screen and prioritize communications and opportunities from external and internal sources, and organize and maintain administrative processes is essential to this position. In addition, s/he will be responsible for coordinating and preparing Board of Director presentations and packets and is able to work with bring together cross-functional coordination between programs and departments. The ideal candidate will be dynamic, high-energy, organized, and possess excellent judgment. S/he will be required to be available during regular business hours, evenings and/or weekends, on occasion/as needed to provide support and assistance to the CEO.
Candidates will be expected to interact with staff in a fast paced environment, sometimes under pressure, remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Candidates must demonstrate expert level written and verbal communication skills, strong decision making ability and attention to detail.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Confers with Executive Director/CEO to review business objectives and organizational policies. Provide assistance to Executive Director/CEO in coordinating functions and operations. Establish responsibilities and procedures for attaining objectives.
- Manage external contacts for CEO, proactively understanding who they are, which are priority contacts and keeping track of periodic communication needed for priority contacts.
- Ability to anticipate the CEO’s needs and proactively bring together appropriate people and resources to support the executive in addressing issues.
- When the CEO organizes meetings: Prepare agenda in advance; assist with and provide research/background information, content development, creation of presentations and coordinate meetings.
- Manage the daily schedule of CEO, ensuring that she knows her schedule 24 hours in advance and keeping appointments and meetings on time or changing schedules when necessary.
- Develop and maintain a system that alerts to upcoming deadlines on incoming requests or events.
- On own initiate process/compos correspondence/reports for CEO’s reply.
- Manage CEO travel arrangements and proactively coordinate the pre-planning of trips with various internal functions, including arranging appropriate travel, visas, agendas and necessary contacts, country information, marketing materials, and other necessary preparations.
- Act as the lead in preparation for quarterly Board meetings, including tracking, monitoring and following the progress of open action items, drafting the agenda, setting the timetable and owners for board material preparation, producing a final draft of the Board book, and producing accurate Board minutes after each meeting.
- Manage professional contact with Board Members, including arranging board member travel arrangements, expense reimbursements, and board meeting logistics and acting as a first point of contact for Board Member queries.
- Understand organizational policies and procedures necessary to ensure appropriate decision-making protocols are followed.
- Handle confidential information in a professional and discreet manner.
- Ensure that various administrative tasks are done in an effective and efficient manner, including copying, reviewing outside mail, drafting correspondence, screening phone calls, and maintain files as needed.
- Anticipate the needs of the CEO and act accordingly.
- Represents the Foundation to the general public.
- Act as the CEO’s representative and ambassador to external constituents as directed.
- Process and maintain expenses for CEO.
- Initiates and administers the employee and insurance benefits plan for the Foundation, including 401k plan, medical, liability and D&O, worker’s compensation and unemployment insurance. Routinely evaluate the effectiveness of each plan to ensure sufficient, cost effective coverage is guaranteed.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- BA/BS degree required
- Minimum 10 years recent experience supporting Executives and experience working with Board of Directors, necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential information appropriately.
- Highly proficient in the following software programs: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access databases.
- Extensive experience in administrative preparation of board presentations
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to stay focused, efficient, and effective in managing multiple priorities.
- Professional demeanor and ability to defuse emotional situations in a calm manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills and good judgment.
- Proven ability to work independently to achieve accomplishments.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees and outside contacts.
- Mature, energetic with a “let’s roll up our sleeves” attitude, which is especially import in a small organization.
- Proven ability to effectively collaborate with internal team, cross-functional team and external parties.
- Ability to provide after hour and flexible support a must.
- Ability to travel 5%.
- Must be a self-motivated, reliable team player, able to function in a small, isolated environment. Willingness and ability to take on additional responsibilities essential.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Email a one page cover letter describing how your skills and work experience fit the position, along with your resume.
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference Senior Executive Assistant in the subject line.
No phone inquiries, please.
Principal applicants only.