Posted on August 9, 2012
Program Officer, Health
Kenneth Rainin Foundation
Kenneth Rainin Foundation - Program Officer, Health
The Kenneth Rainin Foundation, based in Oakland, California, seeks a program officer with experience in medical research administration and/or digestive diseases. This position will provide assistance for a growing portfolio of grants, assist in design and administration of an annual scientific meeting, and be available as a discussion partner for strategy with the Foundation’s board and staff.
The Foundation has created a robust medical research program focused on innovative research projects that are potentially transformative to efforts to diagnose, treat and/or cure Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). The program is expected to triple in size within the next five years, if current conditions hold. The Innovator Awards Program for IBD Research made its third round of grants in summer 2012, with assistance from a distinguished advisory board. In addition to the Innovator Awards Program, we have established the Breakthrough Awards Program to provide long-term support to existing KRF-funded Innovator Award recipients who have demonstrated significant “proof of principle” research progress validating their original innovative hypotheses.
In 2012, the Foundation inaugurated an annual scientific meeting designed to bring new and interdisciplinary approaches to IBD research to wider scientific attention.
Information about these programs is available at http://krfoundation.org/grants/health/
Some travel is required. This position is based in Oakland, CA.
Primary responsibilities include providing intellectual and organizational leadership in:
- facilitating the work of the scientific advisory committee;
- monitoring programs and grants;
- creating impact through dissemination of knowledge via the symposium and Foundation publications;
- representing the Foundation; and
- designing and implementing new initiatives as needed
- Works with staff and advisory board members to publicize and administer applications process for Innovator Awards.
- Screens and assesses prospective project proposals and budgets.
- Participates in meetings, reviews grantee submissions.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Dissemination:
- Works with staff and advisors to assess, evaluate and disseminate results of programs and projects.
- Conducts grant reviews; prepares oral and written summaries of grant activities.
- When appropriate, represents the Foundation regarding program direction, program funding and grantmaking results.
- Responds to public inquiries about the application process, health grants, the symposium and other KRF health-related matters.
- Works in close collaboration with the executive director, COO, and grants management staff to create and implement grants policies and procedures.
- Participates in Foundation-wide projects, as necessary.
- Performs other projects and responsibilities, as assigned.
Experience and Qualifications:
The ideal candidate will have either experience in scientific research grants administration, foundation program management, digestive diseases research and/or journalism. Completion of an advanced degree (master’s degree or higher) and at least five years of relevant experience is expected.
Candidates must have experience handling multiple priorities effectively and organizing time efficiently. Demonstrated leadership, analytical, interpersonal and written and oral communication skills with broad and diverse audiences is requested.
Compensation: A competitive salary and benefits package will be offered. Please include salary history with your resume and cover letter.
To apply, please send your cover letter, resume and salary history to: pat.curcio@KRFoundation.org.