Posted on August 8, 2012
NYCLU Staff Attorney
New York Civil Liberties Union
New York Civil Liberties Union - NYCLU Staff Attorney
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with 48,000 members statewide and eight offices.
Summary of Position
The NYCLU seeks a staff attorney to conduct litigation and related advocacy. The staff attorney will work on the full range of NYCLU issues, including free expression, equal protection, police misconduct, student rights, and privacy, including work on reproductive rights and LGBT matters.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Developing and conducting litigation in federal and state courts and in administrative forums. Staff attorneys are responsible for indentifying possible litigation and advocacy, preparing pleadings, motions, briefs, testimony; conducting discovery; presenting oral arguments; and handling all aspects of appeals;
- Engaging in pre-litigation analysis and advocacy, including evaluating and following up on intakes; conducting factual investigations and legal analysis; utilizing the Freedom of Information Law; and drafting demand letters.
- Excellent writing, research, analytic, and communication skills;
- Two to five years of litigation experience; some policy or non-litigation advocacy experience a plus;
- A demonstrated ability to advocate effectively, including an ability to initiate and follow through on public interest litigation or advocacy;
- Familiarity with civil rights issues desirable; knowledge of LGBT, reproductive rights, and/or of privacy issues a plus;
- A demonstrated commitment to the goals and priorities of the organization; and
- Leadership, self-motivation and an ability to work collaboratively.
Please submit a letter of interest, current resume, short writing sample and salary requirements via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Staff Attorney” in the subject field.
The NYCLU is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbians, gay men and transgender individuals to apply.