Posted on August 7, 2012
Program Director, MaxART
Clinton Health Access Initiative
Clinton Health Access Initiative - Program Director, MaxART
The Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI) has been working in Swaziland since 2007. The team began by managing a donation of pediatric commodities to the Government of Swaziland through UNITAID, and since that time has been providing technical assistance in a variety of the Government’s public health priority areas. Most of the work to date has been done in the areas of pediatric HIV/AIDS care and treatment, increasing access to high-quality, affordable medicines, and malaria elimination. Since mid-2011, CHAI Swaziland has been supporting the Ministry of Health (MOH) with a program addressing the continuum of HIV testing, care, and treatment, with a particular focus on the benefits of treatment as prevention. This program is called “Maximizing ART for Better Health and Zero New HIV Infections”, or MaxART.
CHAI requires a highly motivated individual with strong managerial, communication, analytical, and strategic planning skills for the position of MaxART Program Director based in Swaziland. Reporting to the Country Director, who under the terms of the contract has overall responsibility for the program including the donor relationship, the Program Director will work with the MaxART team to ensure the overall success of the MaxART program in Swaziland. The Program Director will help coordinate and support CHAI’s team on the ground to achieve the program’s objectives, and forge stronger relations with the Ministry of Health (MOH), other government agencies, and partners.
- Oversee all aspects of CHAI’s MaxART program management including planning, budgeting and forecasting, implementation and reporting.
- Set program direction and goals, defining targets and measuring program performance across the MaxART program to establish aggressive operational program milestones and achieve program objectives.
- Supervise the CHAI MaxART team comprised of 4 Program Managers, 2 Program Associates, 3 Fast-Track Facilitators and 1 Senior Research & Evaluation Specialist, and provide high-level guidance on programmatic challenges and day-to-day management in the planning and execution of programmatic initiatives.
- Oversee administrative activities related to MaxART, including managing the overall program budget and forecast, closely liaising with the Deputy Country Director (DCD), logistics, and HR.
- Ensure program implementation and reporting is in accordance with donor’s requirements and specifications. This includes adhering to deadlines, ensuring that deliverables are drafted and submitted in a timely fashion, and working closely with the DCD.
- Work closely with the Country Director and Program Managers to ensure timely delivery on project activities that involve partner organizations.
- Provide high-quality technical assistance to the MOH as needed/requested, often within an urgent timeframe.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the HIV/AIDS and overall health systems priorities and gaps throughout the country.
- Proactive, resourceful individuals with strong managerial, communication, strategic planning, and analytical skills are required for this role. Experience conceptualizing, planning, and executing programs or projects with documented results in a resource limited setting is strongly preferred.
- Master’s Degree in business administration, international policy, public health, or equivalent job experience.
- A minimum of 5 years experience in private or public sector, with increasing levels of responsibility and leadership.
- Exceptional communication and client management skills with ability to diplomatically and clearly communicate complex ideas with well developed structure and logic.
- Comfort working independently with a diverse set of counterparts. Experience in a consultative capacity, especially in a cross-cultural setting, is an added advantage.
- Ability to navigate complex government processes and favorably influence decision-making in a professional and collaborative manner.
- Ability to work with humility and not seek personal credit for the work or contributions, even where credit is due; commitment to ensuring our government partner is the owner of our work together
- Ability to manage staff and develop a coherent program with substantial ambiguity and changing circumstances.
- Ability to lead as a team player, mentor, manager, and role model, demanding top performance from self and in partnership with the entire team,
- Highly developed strategic perspective with a simultaneous ability to focus on the details.
- Exceptionally strong quantitative skills with ability to develop and apply quantitative models including use of Excel and other tools to address specific challenges and improve working practices with a focus on outcomes.
- Excellent ability to create compelling, logical presentations, using PowerPoint and other communications media.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and achieve maximum impact and efficiency with limited human and financial resources.
- Willingness and ability to travel outside of Mbabane as needed.
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS desired.
Interested candidates should apply online at https://careers-chai.icims.com/jobs/2819/program-director/job.