Posted on August 6, 2012
Human Resources Manager
Louisiana Public Health Institute
Louisiana Public Health Institute - Human Resources Manager
Masters degree in human resources, non-profit and/or business administration, business management or relevant study.
Minimum of 5 – 10 years related human resources management experience, preferably in a non-profit environment
Excellent written and oral skills
To coordinate, oversee and administer human resources (HR) policies and functions for all staff of the Louisiana Public Health Institute (LPHI), and to provide administrative direction across LPHI management, to comply with legal and regulatory requirements and maintain LPHI’s status as an at-will employer.
Recruitment and Hiring
- Implement and maintain a highly competitive recruitment program for attracting and hiring talented, motivated, and high performance staff that serve both the specific requirements of projects/programs and also LPHI’s broader organizational goals.
- Works closely with LPHI’s leadership to understand the HR needs and requirements of various programs and ensure necessary HR coordination and support to achieve success in these programs.
- Provides HR management and direction across LPHI programs and divisions including assisting with new program development and the phase out of programs.
- Oversees and participates in the implementation of LPHI’s recruitment and hiring policies including: maintaining applicant database, screening resumes, setting up interviews, developing interview questions, conducting interviews, advising on appropriate pre-employment testing, conducting background and reference checks, and communicating with candidates.
- Acts as a staffing agent assisting in identifying and recruiting qualified candidates hired by LPHI for work with contracted organizations including the National Network of Public Health Institutes and local and state agencies in Louisiana.
- Develops and implements LPHI’s annual affirmative action plan including researching the market for most effective means to recruit appropriate and diverse candidate pool.
- Coordinates student intern schedules and maintains appropriate records; builds and maintains relationships with local universities for internship recruitment and opportunities.
Workforce Development and Retention
- Actively assists LPHI’s leadership to create a healthy work environment that increases the productivity and job satisfaction of the staff, including participating in LPHI’s Employee Advisory Committee.
- Designs and implements an effective performance evaluation system to reinforce organizational values.
- Oversees administration of employee performance reviews including participating and advising in the areas of retention, wage increases, discipline and performance improvement plans.
- In coordination with managers, CEO and legal counsel , terminates employees as appropriate.
- Works closely with LPHI’s leadership to design, develop, and implement systems to track employee turnover, retention and other relevant HR data.
- Develops and implements a comprehensive professional development program for LPHI staff and interns, including training and other professional development opportunities.
Human Resources Administration
- Maintains and provides current information on benefits such as insurance, retirement, worker’s compensation, and unemployment compensation. Serves as liaison to provider companies; benefits administration.
- Conducts informational orientation program for all new employees and provides training to all staff regarding HR policies and procedures as needed.
- Establishes, maintains, and oversees confidential HR and personnel files , including time and attendance and employees performance reviews.
- Develops, updates, and coordinates implementation of and compliance with LPHI compensation and classification system.
- Researches employment law issues in order to improve the administrative functions of the institute and consults with legal council to reduce the risk of company liability.
- Serves as a liaison and resource to LPHI staff and supervisors on HR related issues independently making decisions and relaying sensitive and/or confidential information as appropriate, as well as providing information to outside agencies and potential applicants regarding HR matters.
- Maintains positive, strong, credible, professional and interpersonal relationships with all parties relevant to LPHI, and represents the best interest of LPHI at all times.
- All other duties as assigned.
Desired Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to think proactively and function independently.
- Strong interpersonal skills dealing with all levels of staff and experience working with individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledge of standard HR policies and procedures
- Knowledge and experience with employment law
- Ability to carry out several tasks at once.
- Skills in written and oral communications.
- Ability to learn new subject areas quickly.
- Knowledge of Microsoft applications including: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
A competitive salary and benefits package is offered to all LPHI staff
Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirement and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: HR Manager
No Phone Calls Please
Position Open Until Filled
Equal Employment Opportunity