Posted on August 2, 2012
Executive Assistant, Legal
David and Lucile Packard Foundation
David and Lucile Packard Foundation - Executive Assistant, Legal
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation is seeking an experienced and organized assistant with excellent skills to support the General Counsel and other select managers at the Foundation. This is a newly created position where you will use your strong administrative support, organizational skills, and expertise in managing your support of multiple managers.
We are a family foundation that is guided by the enduring business philosophy and personal values of Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s leading technology companies. Their approach to business and community participation has guided our philanthropy for nearly 50 years. Today, their children and grandchildren continue to help guide the work of the Foundation. The Foundation makes grants at the local, state, national, and international level and is located in Los Altos, CA.
The Foundation works on the issues their founders cared about most, which are:
A staff of 100 conducts the day-to-day operations of the Foundation and a Board of Trustees oversees the work of the Foundation. David and Lucile Packard passed onto the Foundation the following core set of values: integrity, respect for all people, belief in individual leadership, commitment to effectiveness, and the capacity to think big.
We are looking for an assistant who enjoys supporting others and produces excellent work by communicating well, using great judgment skills, organizing work, and working effectively with others.
- Improving the lives of children
- Enabling the creative pursuit of science
- Advancing reproductive health
- Conserving and restoring the earth’s natural systems
This position will include, but not be limited to, the following duties:
- Create and improve processes, maintain records, and coordinate communication and information flow between the Office of General Counsel, staff, Board members, and external professional services provides to improve and maintain the efficiency and effectiveness of the office
- Manage calendar, phone, and email for General Counsel including screening calendar requests and calls, and using excellent judgment when responding to a variety of requests for time
- Support the General Counsel with taking, transcribing, editing, and tracking corporate minutes, memos, and documents
- Prepare and monitor budget for the Office of General Counsel
- Manage and prioritize support of multiple managers for calendaring and other administrative work
- Compose, proof, and edit correspondence and other documents for correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, format, and content
- Research as directed and assemble in advance, relevant information for meetings, correspondence, and reports
- Track and resolve open items
- Handle confidential and non-routine information with high degree of sensitivity
- Build effective working relationships with key staff and interact with Board members with ease
- Review, monitor, and submit contracts, invoices, and expenses from a variety of providers including external counsel
- Organize and maintain files
- Represent the Foundation in a positive way both internally and in interactions with individuals and organizations external to the Foundation
- Establish and support positive working relationships and work effectively on teams
- Identify areas and processes for improvement and take action to implements changes
- Plan domestic and occasional international travel
- Interest in the program areas of the Foundation is a plus
- Undertake special assignments and research projects
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- BA/BS degree or equivalent education and experience
- Minimum four years administrative experience supporting multiple managers. Legal support skills required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; excellent proofreading and grammar skills
- Excellent knowledge and skill with Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and SharePoint; expertise on PC, iPad, and other devices; ability to learn and work with other databases
- Demonstrated excellent time management and organization skills and ability to meet deadlines and requirements; process improvement skills a plus
- Initiative and ability to handle multiple priorities and anticipate information needed by others
- Demonstrated experience in exercising excellent judgment in non-routine matters and handling and protecting confidential and sensitive information
- Demonstrated teamwork and flexibility skills to work with multiple managers
- Willingness to work overtime when occasionally required
- Strong ability to do work that requires attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong ability to interact with all in a professional, courteous, and culturally sensitive manner
- Has a sense of humor and demonstrates grace under pressure
Candidate must have the ability to communicate via voice telephone, read and understand written communication, and generate written communication manually and using a computer. Candidate must also be able to work at a desk for long periods of time (2-3 hours), lift and move documents and supplies (not to exceed 25 lbs.), and bend to file or retrieve documents.
Benefits and Compensation
We offer an excellent benefits package and compensation that is commensurate with education and related work experience. The position is full-time and nonexempt.
Email a one page cover letter and a resume explaining your interest and how your skills and work experience fit the position to email@example.com. Please reference job number 12-19-1700 in the subject line.
No phone inquiries, please.
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome a diverse candidate pool.
More information about the Foundation can be found at www.packard.org.
The Foundation uses an outside firm to check the accuracy of information supplied by applicants.
Principal applicants only.