Posted on July 30, 2012
Supply Chain and Project Manager
Food Bank for Westchester
Food Bank for Westchester - Supply Chain and Project Manager
Reporting to the Director of Operations the Supply Chain & Project Manager is responsible for managing and maintaining the Food Bank inventory assuring sufficient and varied product available for the core food bank program, Emergency Food Distribution and special food distribution programs including, but not limited to Project Green Thumb, Mobile Pantry, Rapid Distribution, BackPack, etc. The Supply Chain & Project Manager will be responsible for developing and retaining product donation accounts locally, developing and maintaining donation relationships with the New York State food banks as well as other Feeding American food banks and enhancing national donations through the Feeding America Donor Choice system. This position will source purchased food nationally to obtain the best value with the highest nutritional quality and manage the USDA inventory, including bonus products to complement the Food Bank inventory.
This position supervises the Agency Ordering /Project Assistant and the Resource/Volunteer Coordinator.
Poised to significantly increase the amount of food available to member programs this position must be entrepreneurial, able to take the initiative, be responsive to new opportunities and have the ability to create value from an obstacle. It also requires negotiation skills, attention to detail, a high level of organization and follow-through on all initiatives.
- Annually develop a food sourcing plan.
- Identify, develop and retain local food donors.
- Develop and implement a donor recognition program.
- Retain /develop relations with New York State food banks and other Feeding America members to increase availability of donated foods.
- Use the Feeding America Donor Choice system to significantly increase donated food and personal care product
- Identify and solicit food purveyors for Purchased food acquisition, periodically request bids, negotiate.
- Maintain a schedule of “special distributions” assure that each event has the product needed to execute mission.
- Arrange for the transport/pick up of food; follow through on receipt and placement in inventory: report to donor sources and FA as required.
- Work closely with the Resource/ Volunteer Coordinator to assure “Special Distribution Programs” and regular distribution streams have the product needed for distribution ; ie.BackPack, Green Thumb etc.
- Work closely with the Warehouse Assistant/Logistics to assure regular and “Special Distribution Programs” are staffed, loaded and dispatched.
- Work closely with Member Services and the “Special Distribution Program” host sites to assure all is ready to execute a distribution.
- Keep track of inventory movement, replenish, and keep vigilant attention to price fluctuations to achieve the best prices.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
Required knowledge and skills
- Background in sales and logistics, experience in the food industry a plus.
- Excellent written/oral communication skills
- Comfortable in fast paced environment and ability to work well with senior corporate officials as well as the dock workers and drivers.
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple (and at times competing priorities) ; meet tight deadlines; and the temperament to work effectively under pressure
- Committed to the organizational mission to end hunger in Westchester
- Committed to fight hunger in Westchester with “nutrition not just calories”.
- Extremely organized, able to keep good records for tracking and reporting
- Basic computer knowledge, Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.
Submit cover letter and resume to : Toby.Pidgeon@foodbankforwestchester .org, by EBD 7/31/2012
To learn more about the Food Bank for Westchester www.foodbankforwestchester.org