Posted on July 29, 2012
Analyst, New Diagnostics
Clinton Health Access Initiative
Clinton Health Access Initiative - Analyst, New Diagnostics
Founded in 2002 by President William J. Clinton, the Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI) works to broaden access to life-saving treatment for HIV/AIDS,
tuberculosis and malaria patients in the poorest parts of the world. As part of this mission, CHAI’s “Access Programs” approach global public health challenges
with market-based strategies, using simultaneous engagement on both the supply and demand sides of the market. On the supply side, CHAI engages with suppliers of essential drugs and diagnostics to improve access to products by lowering prices, accelerating new products to market, and sharing market intelligence.
On the demand side, CHAI organizes and consolidates demand for health commodities by helping governments to scale up treatment programs, mobilize new
resources, improve procurement processes, and enhance local human resource capacity. Working with over 30 governments and other partners, CHAI is focused
on large-scale impact on many of the largest barriers to effective treatment
CHAI is a key source of support for Ministries of Health and CHAI's country teams, and works to address barriers to access and foster a healthy competitive marketplace for essential diagnostic testing. CHAI plays the lead role in coordinating work globally on access to diagnostics, working closely with diagnostics, manufacturers, governments, and multilateral organizations to lower prices, increase access to testing, and accelerate the entry and uptake of new innovative products.
The Analyst - New Diagnostics will work to support the market entry of new innovative point-of-care or simple laboratory diagnostic products for HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis in key markets in resource-limited settings. Several such products for diagnosis, disease staging, and treatment monitoring have recently become available or are in development, with the potential to dramatically increase access to treatment, improve patient retention, and make healthcare systems more efficient. However, despite the potential advantages of these new technologies, there are few products on
the market due to barriers that prevent adoption and scale-up in developing countries, including regulatory hurdles and limited guidance on how to decentralize testing in rural areas. CHAI will work with new developers of innovative diagnostics to expand the product pipeline and facilitate the accelerated market entry of high quality new products. CHAI will also work with high-volume, early-adopter countries to overcome these barriers and build a healthy, competitive global market for these products, while negotiating with manufacturers to lower prices.
The Analyst - New Diagnostics will focus on developing in depth market intelligence from resource-limited countries such as India and elsewhere and will support business case development for investment in new products. The Analyst will provide operational and analytical support to product developers to accelerate development and commercialization. The Analyst will advocate for the use of new products with governments and other partners, and assist with the design and running of product evaluation pilots and implementation programs while strengthening the capacity of governments to adopt and scale-up new technology. The Analyst will also provide analysis to support to global negotiations with diagnostics manufacturers, and the development of new procurement strategies. Finally, the Analyst will assist in the development of CHAI’s market-shaping strategy for fostering competition in the global diagnostics market. In doing so, the Analyst will develop strong relationships with various teams within CHAI, as well as other external partners in select countries.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with outstanding credentials, analytical ability, and communication skills. The Analyst must be able to function independently and flexibly and have a strong commitment to excellence. CHAI places great value on relevant personal qualities: resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, independence, energy, and work ethic.
- Serve as a key advisor to product developers, CHAI country teams and in-country and global partners on the market entry of new diagnostic products and their integration into existing lab networks
- Develop in-depth market intelligence and demand forecasts on HIV and TB diagnostics in resource-limited settings
- Assist Ministries of Health in the design and conduct of technical evaluations to drive regulatory approvals and ensure that new technologies perform accurately, conduct operational pilots to demonstrate the cost effectiveness and impact of new products on patient outcomes, and assist with analysis and writing of evaluation reports
- Develop and share deployment models and strategies for how to maximize the uptake of new innovative HIV and TB diagnostics
- Assist Ministries of Health in the development of HIV and TB POC testing policies and national implementation plans
- Work with procurement partners, Ministries of Health to introduce new technologies and facilitate their adoption
- Work with CHAI country teams, governments, and partners to identify funding for increased investment in new HIV and TB diagnostic products
- Assist in the management of global supplier relationships through product demand forecasting, market analysis, sharing of market intelligence, and supporting price negotiations
- Provide assistance to developers and CHAI country teams and governments in support of work streams related to the development and adoption of new HIV and TB diagnostics
- Minimum qualifications: Bachelor’s degree plus 2-5 years work experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to prepare and deliver compelling presentations
- Strong analytical, problem solving and quantitative skills
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity and work in a fast-paced, limited-structure, multicultural environment
- Ability to learn on the job quickly
- Detail-oriented with strong organization skills
- Ability to handle multiple work streams simultaneously and work independently
- Available for up to 25% travel
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Previous CHAI experience
- Pharmaceutical / healthcare industry experience
- Experience working in management consulting, investment banking, or similar environment
- Experience living or working abroad, particularly in developing countries
- Familiarity with global health issues
NOTE: This job is based out of New Delhi, India
Please visit https://careers-chai.icims.com/jobs/2789/login to apply