Posted on March 17, 2013
NESsT - Development Manager
NESsT is an international nonprofit organization that develops sustainable social enterprises that solve critical social problems in emerging market economies. The organization funds its programs and operations through three methods: grants from institutional donors, donations from individuals, and contracts from consulting services. The Development area at NESsT coordinates the research and management of grants, donations, and contracts by supporting senior management and program staff in their fundraising and business development efforts. Those are targeted at a broad base of donors and clients. For more information, please visit our website at www.nesst.org.
NESsT is looking for a Development Manager to coordinate the Development area. The Development Manager communicates with teams in Latin America and Central Europe to organize fundraising and business development activities across the entire organization. This full-time position will be based in San Francisco, California, and reports to NESsT’s Co-CEO. Intermediate – written and spoken –Spanish is required.
- Strategic input: work with senior management and regional staff to execute the NESsT strategic plan, providing input to develop a strategic, creative approach to obtaining funding and crafting proposals on a day to day basis.
- Writing and editing: work with senior management, regional staff, and grant writing consultant to develop grants and consulting proposals, as well as presentations for potential donors and clients. Coordinate the development of proposal budgets with NESsT’s Finance and Operations Teams.
- Contributing to NESsT internal and external communication: provide support to NESsT’s communication team for the development of press releases, articles, and newsletter relating to fundraising activities, as well as for website updates.
- Managing donor information: manage NESsT’s database of donor and client information, including its fundraising and consulting pipeline of opportunities and provide progress reports on fundraising and consulting goals.
- Researching: perform on-line research of potential funding opportunities, including new calls for tenders, guidelines for proposals, sector-specific research, funding trends, etc. Also research specific donors and clients that could be potential partners for NESsT. Provide summarized information to NESsT staff to inform fundraising and consulting strategy and decisions.
- Reporting: coordinate, edit, and translate (where necessary) donor and client reports. Manage reporting timeline and deliverables and support staff to obtain and communicate relevant program information for external reporting.
Excellent communication and organizational skills, strong attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously. Should be comfortable with numbers.
Experience developing funding proposals and budgets for a variety of donor and client audiences, including government, foundations, corporations, and individuals.
Experience in project negotiations with clients and donors.
Strong capacity to organize information and multi-task.
Strong skills in the development of PowerPoint presentations and Excel spreadsheets.
Intermediate Spanish (language skills will be tested).
University degree or equivalent relevant work experience (minimum 3 years - experience working in emerging market countries is a plus).
Knowledge of international nonprofit environment and passion for social change issues.
Ability to be flexible, resourceful and innovative in a small, dynamic, nonprofit environment.
Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
Experience working in a multi-cultural environment.
NESsT will not relocate candidates, therefore San Francisco Bay Area residents preferred.
Must have legal status and authorization to work in the United States. NESsT is unable to sponsor a work visa.
Compensation: Salary in USD. Competitive nonprofit salary based on experience and salary history.
The position starts ASAP.
Review of applications and interviews will begin immediately, however the cutoff date for applications is Monday, March 18, 2013.
Send resume and cover letter in English, including net salary expectations and salary history for the past three years, via email to Silvia Dominguez at sdominguez[at]nesst.org.
In the subject of the email, please write “Development Manager Application.”
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. No phone calls, please.