Posted on July 20, 2012
Franciscan Workers of Junipero Serra
Franciscan Workers of Junipero Serra - Development Assistant
The Companions of the Way Community is an interfaith community of social justice advocates; passionate people who seek to live simply and be instruments of peace. The community is located in Salinas, CA and most of its members serve as the primary staff of Dorothy's Place, a hospitality center that provides meals, basic services, and loving conversation with very poor and marginalized people. We live in a suburban setting that has six multi-bedroom dwellings. The Community is 20 years old.
We are currently looking for new members, and we have a need to fill a new position that builds our capacity to serve the poor by assisting a resource development team.
For more information about the Companions of the Way and Dorothy's Place please visit our websites:
Resource Development Assistant Overview
Responsible for all administrative aspects of development and public relations activities. The Development Assistant plays an important role by providing administrative support to the Development Director and participating in all fundraising activities including donor and public relations, mail appeals, campaigns and special events.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supports and promotes a focus and understanding of FWJS's mission.
- Flexibility and initiative while working in partnership and independently, combined with the skills for thriving in a team environment to achieve institutional goals.
- Prepare acknowledgement letters and other donor correspondence.
- Maintain foundation, corporation and individual donor files in Exceed software.
- Create monthly fundraising reports and other database reports as needed.
- Continually update and correct database records.
- Conduct preliminary research on prospective corporate, foundation and individual donors.
- Coordinate productions and mailing of periodic appeal letters.
- Maintain guest lists, gather and prepare registration materials and other duties as assigned for fund-raising events.
- Maintain development master files.
- Assist in grant proposal preparation.
- Handle all administrative details associated with the Development report to the Board of Directors.
- Prepare media materials for distribution. (i.e. copying, filing, mailing, e-mailing)
- Assemble media and donor kits for events and meetings.
- Assist in preparation of the quarterly newsletter.
- Assist in maintaining website and social media communications.
- Other duties as assigned by the Development Director.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities as a Companions Community Member:
- Participation in intentional community life rhythms (weekly dinners/community meetings, mindfulness trainings.)
- Keep quarters clean and safe, and respect the policies accepted by the Community regarding drugs & alcohol, use of vehicles, etc.
Desired outcomes performance measures:
- Promotion of a smoothly operating resource development team that increases the capacity of the organization to serve.
- Number of donations processed and acknowledged within 24 to 48 hours.
- Success in maintaining accuracy of database records.
- Accuracy of fundraising reports.
- Success in coordinating the production of mail appeals.
- Success in organization of fundraising events.
- Number of grant proposals produced.
- Quick and accurate filing of donor information.
- Wider donor base and increased direct and indirect donor support.
- Ability to compassionately understand the needs of a marginalized population and use that understanding to motivate your work.
- Experience working in a team environment and desire to promote the outcomes of the team over self.
- Experience in holding sensitive information confidentially and respecting the rights and desires of donors.
- Associate's or bachelor's degree in a related field.
- A minimum of three years' experience in an administrative position, preferably in a not-for-profit development office
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint Database management experience – Exceed Plus preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English – bilingual Spanish preferred (including ability to translate written materials)
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Physical & Sensory Requirements:
Ability to easily climb stairs to a second story. Ability to read well enough to read data on a computer screen and text in written documents. Ability to hear normal conversations and answer phones. Hand, finger and body coordination sufficient to fulfill requirements of the position. Ability to stand or sit for extended periods of time.
Enthusiasm and passion for the mission of Franciscan Workers of Junipero Serra. Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to listen to guests, colleagues and donors, and tact in dealing with sensitive issues. Acts ethically, responsibly, and with utmost integrity. Treats guests, donors, staff, and volunteers with respect. Sets personal standards of behavior that serve as a model to others. Criminal background check. Drug and alcohol screening.
- Opportunity to live in and be supported by a spiritual intentional community dedicated to mindfulness and service.
- No cost lodging to include: private bedroom within a shared apartment, utilities, Internet connection, basic food.
- Living allowance starting at $400.00 per month
- Health insurance
- Cell phone
- Opportunities for continuing education
- Student loan assistance
Contact: Development Director Jill Allen, 831.578.4198, email@example.com