Posted on July 19, 2012
openhousenewyork - Executive Director
Founded in 2001, openhousenewyork, inc. (OHNY) celebrates New York City's architecture and design through its annual flagship event, openhousenewyork Weekend, and smaller year-round educational programs focused on the built environment. openhousenewyork Weekend, the largest event of its kind in the U.S., provides largely free public access to distinctive New York City spaces to broaden public awareness of architecture, engineering and design; educates and inspires discussion of issues of excellence in design, planning and preservation; and showcases outstanding new work as well as buildings and structures of historic merit. Throughout 2012-2013, we will be celebrating our 10th anniversary with the 2012 Weekend as the centerpiece and surrounded by feature events throughout the year in association with this milestone. Our events include special programming for OHNY partners, a new high level donor program. Further, the organization is set to consider advancing this mission nationally, working in partnership with corporate, nonprofit and governmental groups.
Description: The organization is seeking an executive director to lead the development and management of this dynamic organization so that the organization can fulfill its mission and grow its capacity in order to meet both short-term and long-term goals; helping revision and reinforce programs and activities as it moves into its exciting second decade.
Responsibilities include: Provide leadership for the organization and serve as the primary liaison with key OHNY constituents, including existing and potential funders, a governing board and advisory council, a volunteer council, site sponsors, and other partner institutions.
Serve as the organization's key fundraiser, working to ensure that OHNY continues to grow its financial capacity in order to strengthen its program focused funding and meet budgetary demands and reserves.
Manage staff, which includes 2 programmatic full-time individuals, 2-3 consultants, a part-time bookkeeper and 2-3 interns.
Provide guidance and oversight of programming and educational initiatives, and develop partnerships that enhance OHNY's mission and expand its support base.
Serve as spokesperson for OHNY with media, related civic and cultural, government and business as needed, and especially during OHNY Weekend.
Provide oversight and guidance with OHNY’s Volunteer Council
An energetic, creative individual with an entrepreneurial spirit and 7-10 years management experience, either in the nonprofit world, preferably in the arts and culture sector, or equivalent management experience in the private sector with knowledge of the New York City arts and culture sector.
- Strong track record of fundraising and financial accountability
- Experience working with boards and volunteers
- Strong record of interpersonal, mentoring and managerial skills, working with both internal and external partners
- Experience in developing and overseeing the implementation of new program initiatives
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task and prioritize, working under tight deadlines
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills a must; strong graphic design eye
- Event planning and marketing skills; festival experience an asset.
- Experience with website oversight and development (content and information management)
- basic computer skills (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.)
- web and social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, Tumblr, Flickr, YouTube, Vimeo, and WordPress)
- content management systems (Drupal)
- Graduate degree or Bachelor’s degree with commensurate experience required
- Passion for architecture, design, New York City, and the nonprofit world a plus
To Apply: Email resume and cover letter as attached word documents to email@example.com with the subject line: executive director position. No phone calls please!