Posted on July 13, 2012
Shanti - Grant Writer
Shanti exists to enhance the quality of life, health and well-being of people with life-threatening illnesses. Founded in 1974, Shanti was one of the first-ever volunteer organizations to work with people with terminal illnesses, and, later, became the first community-based agency in the U.S. to respond to the HIV/AIDS epidemic. Shanti annually serves over 2,000 individuals with breast cancer or HIV/AIDS and will be celebrating its 38th Anniversary in 2012.
Shanti offers a supportive work atmosphere, and the staff is mission-driven, passionate and includes many former volunteers. The Development Department is small, and very team oriented, with all of the team assuming additional responsibilities from time to time. Reporting to the Development Director and CFO, the Senior Grant Writer will assume leadership of the continued growth and expansion of Shanti's development effort with foundations and corporations and sustaining the organization’s enhanced visibility in the foundation and philanthropic communities. The Senior Grant Writer will have primary responsibility for grant research, writing and foundation relationships and working with senior program staff to expand the funding base. This position requires extensive experience. A less than full time schedule or flexible schedule might be possible under the right circumstances.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Assume leadership for Shanti’s grant process and foundation relationships
Initiate contact and manage relationships with foundation and corporate grant officers
Write and submit grant applications, reports, progress updates, letters of inquiry and other written materials
Work closely with senior program staff to develop grant proposals and budgets
With assistance of program staff, collect program outcome data and measures of performance required by funders
Track grant process and enter all data into development database (Exceed)
Research, analyze and prioritize new sources of funding and revenue from foundations, businesses, individuals and philanthropic networks and work with senior program staff to develop proposals to access new funding opportunities
Work with the Development Director, Executive Director, Board Members and staff to increase the number, consistency and size of sponsorships and grants
Assist with other development efforts including major gifts, newsletters, and events
- Minimum three years prior grant writing experience
- Demonstrated success in securing major financial commitments from foundation and corporate funders
- Health-related experience preferred
- Knowledge of Bay Area funding community preferred
- Experience with and desire to work in an entrepreneurial environment
- Superior written and oral communications and interpersonal and presentation skills
- Excellent research, planning, conceptual, and strategic-thinking skills
- Demonstrated ability to work as an effective member of a diverse team and manage and motivate others
- Computer proficiency and experience using Exceed database software, or similar donor management software. Thorough knowledge of Excel
- A thorough understanding and enthusiasm for Shanti's mission
- Bachelor’s degree in a field requiring extensive writing, or equivalent experience
Compensation is competitive and will depend on experience. Shanti offers a full suite of benefits, including health, dental, vision and 403(b).
Please submit a cover letter addressing how your experience and qualifications meet those set forth above, and your expectations concerning professional development and compensation. Please also submit a writing sample, maximum two pages, that is a fair representation of your grant writing skills to Phil Bokovoy, Development Director, at email@example.com.